Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Christmas Meme....with Ornaments

You know I like doing memes so when I saw this one that Julie did I knew I had to do it. She had lots of beautiful Christmas paintings interspersed among her answers but I'm using some of our ornaments from the tree in the family room.

1. Have you started your Christmas shopping?

None to do....HB and I already have our Christmas present this year, and since most of our family lives out-of-state we send money or gift certificates. Easy peasy!!

2. Tell me about one of your special traditions.

We don't have any hard and set traditions other than the usual ones such as putting sentimental ornaments on the tree, baking cookies for my kids, and opening the presents on Christmas morning. And we try to buy one special ornament each year. The ones I've shown here are a few of those.



3. Are you a Black Friday shopper?

You must be kidding! I barely shop on any other day of the year (unless it's for books or art supplies) and I sure wouldn't get out in the madness on Black Friday.

4. When do you put up your tree?

We usually try to get the trees up the weekend after Thanksgiving but some years it doesn't happen like that! This year we put the trees up around the 5th but they stood naked for several days until HB took pity and began adding ornaments.

5. Do you travel at Christmas or stay home?

We stay home.



6. What is your funniest Christmas memory?

This isn't really funny but it's one of my clearest memories. As a kid I wanted a piano. We lived in a small house and there was absolutely NO room for a piano not to mention the fact that my dad thought learning anything like that was a waste of time. Still, I wanted a piano and one year I was sure Santa would bring it to me. On Christmas Eve I went to bed but I couldn't fall asleep. At some point during the night I heard lots of banging and bumping and the tinkle of bells....I was sure it was Santa and the reindeer bringing my piano. I was soooo excited. The next morning I jumped out of bed, ran into the living room expecting to see a beautiful piano sitting there but no such luck! I don't remember what I got that year. All I remember is, I didn't get the piano. As I got older I realized that it was probably my mom making all that noise as she always put out the gifts that Santa brought. I don't think my dad ever participated.

7. What is your favorite Christmas movie of all time?

I like "It's a Wonderful Life"....I've seen it a million times but I still enjoy it.



8. Do you do your own Christmas baking, what’s your favorite treat?

Yep, I love to bake. My favorite treat is anything that's sweet! I love cookies, just about any kind. I bake cookies and send them to my kids. They love the mocha nut balls I make every year. I miss my grandma's divinity candy....she made the best! I like fudge and maybe a candy cane just for the memories it brings back.

9. Fake or Real Tree?

I love the smell of a real tree but hate the thought of all those trees being cut down for decoration so we have artificial trees. One 9' tree in the living room and a 6'5" tree in the family room.



10. What day (as a mom) does the actual panic set in to get it all done?

I'm way past that point in my life! I had a few years when my kids were small when I couldn't find the one thing they wanted most. But I usually made it in the end.

11. Are you still wrapping presents on Christmas Eve?

Sometimes I have in the past but not much anymore. See #1.

12. What is your favorite family fun time at Christmas?

Just being together, opening our presents, and then having a simple meal.

13. What Christmas craft do you like the best?

Over the years I've done a lot of Christmas crafts but nothing I would want to do again! I do enjoy making cards though.



14. Christmas music. Yes or No, and if yes what is your favorite song?

I like Christmas music at the appropriate time....like right around Christmas....NOT before Halloween! My favorite song is "Oh, Holy Night"....not because of the lyrics so much but for the music itself. I love how it builds and builds to a crescendo.

15. When do you plan to finish all your shopping?

See #1 again!

********************************************

The last ornament pictured above is one of my favorites....and it's very sentimental. I used to love little cinnamon candy red hots and ate them all the time! I sometimes ate so many of them that the inside of my mouth would feel as if it was burned! This ornament is a small bottle filled with red hots and has Christmas greens around the top. Molly gave it to me one year for Christmas. She was a young teenager at the time. I didn't open the bottle, resisted the red hots and have hung it on my tree every year since then. I'm sure those candies would be horrible by now but I love the ornament and will keep using it on our tree.

7 comments:

  1. Awww, wonderful!! I love the red hot ornament. Sweet. ho ho ho

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the lady singing,
    what is she made of? It almost looks like wood.
    What a sweet sentiment, the candy M
    gave you.
    No tree for us this year.
    Did the snowmen in the kitchen, and the nativity on top of the Tv, a few things outside, wala !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I may have to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun to read your answers ...and know how much I like and admire you! Enjoy the holidays. I definitely do NOT stress! We keep things simple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely insight into your christmas :) i love the little red hot bottle too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that movie as well...and Oh Holy Night too...
    Isn't it always a relief when the TREE IS DONE! :)) Enjoy while you can!
    Happy Holidays Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your Christmas meme, Janet. That last ornament is beautiful and I love the sentiment behind it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!