Thursday, December 10, 2009

Things Change....

There has been a teeny tiny bit of progress made on the Christmas decorating front. Yesterday I think HB got tired of looking at the naked tree in the living room so he started adding ornaments! It looks very nice....he did a good job. The little tree in the family room however is still standing in the corner naked and shivering without so much as a string of garland to brighten it up! I'm just not feelin' it this year!

Maybe because it will just be me and HB for Christmas. There won't be anyone here. My son couldn't get away this year and my daughter is in Delaware now. So I'm not too excited about decorating because all I can think about is taking it all down again in a couple of weeks!!

I did manage to do something maybe kinda halfway artsy. Last night while HB was watching TV and I was sitting there trying not to pay attention to it (!!) I got out my moleskine and some Prismacolor pencils and added color to a few of my old drawings. I know that isn't much but it's about all the creativeness I can muster right now. Kinda like having my own coloring book!

Here's what I did....you may remember these old drawings.


The shading on her face is a little weird but I had done her originally with the Shades of Gray markers so I was working over that.


Her colors are somewhat muted and don't scan true but I like her.


I like this girl much better now that she has color!


I think the eyes on this one are a little too much!

It's amazing to go back and look at these drawings that I did back in 2008, and see how much my art has changed since then. These faces seem very childlike but at the time I thought I was doing pretty darn good.
********************************************
Back to the Christmas decorating....I had thought about changing the look of my blog to go with the season but I have such a time coming up with something for a banner that I decided to leave it just the way it is! Maybe after I take the Photoshop class with DJ Pettitt I'll be able to create something I can use as a banner. Until then you're stuck with the same old look....sorry!!

16 comments:

  1. Janet--love, love, love them. I know what you mean about how your work evolves. Last year, I was happy with what I did, but looking at it now, I would not be, which I think is good. It just shows that you're always growing. And put up the decorations--it makes such a difference in your Christmas spirit. (I should be following my own advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you did all of these. I loved them then just as I do now with color added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite one is the last one. Which photo class are you taking? Maybe I'm getting DJ mixed up with LK. I think with the Suzi Blu class, Mary Ann and LK's class, that will be enough for now for me. The great thing about Mary Ann's is that it will be open until the end of 2010. I don't get enthused about decorating for Christmas anymore. I think Christmas is mainly for children...bah, humbug! lol
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved your girls! They are the first art I saw when I started visiting your blog! I have big googly eyes so I really like her...and the hair! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The girls are great. I am with you in a lot of ways about the decorating this year. The family will be here and I will finish my decorating, but I too think about the taking down and putting away...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these colors Janet and "childlike" is not a bad thing!!! Love their eyes!!!
    I seem to have decorated a ton here and the company we were supposed to have this weekend cancelled out yesterday...so we'll be by ourselves...all that work for ???? Just us??? Oh well...will enjoy it. Come on over!!! I'm in Maryland so not too far from your daughter! Take care girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your drawings! Yes, I think I've decorated my blog more than my home! A first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the added color. It is so fun to look back at old art, you really can see how you have grown as an Artist.

    I also love that when you do just a little art it makes you feel better. My tree still is undecorated but maybe this weekend. I am feeling a little better and can do more each day.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the added color. It is so fun to look back at old art, you really can see how you have grown as an Artist.

    I also love that when you do just a little art it makes you feel better. My tree still is undecorated but maybe this weekend. I am feeling a little better and can do more each day.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm enjoying your 'ladies revisited'. We all need a makeover from time to time and I'm sure they're pleased!
    I'm with you re the decorating. When families disperse it's hard to build any enthusiasm. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet, your girls are adorable! What fun hair they have, you did a great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you did with the second pic from the top, Janet. Mind you, I loved your girls back then too ~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them! I didn't see the original B&W ones cause I didn't know you then. I really like the leaf like hair on the last one.

    I'm draggin' my feet with the decor this time too. Same with sending out the cards. I need to snap out of it...Maybe today is the day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how you feel about decorating for Christmas. I just can't be bothered for just me. And it is so much work taking it all down. I enjoy the decorations of others, whether my neighbors or my extended family. At least your HB got started on the main tree.

    Love your updated girls! It is so much easier to see the evolution of your work than it is mine. I'm not sure your could even tell the difference in something I made several years ago and now. I am probably just faster at doing it, but that doesn't show up in a job. Anyway, your work, as always, is just wonderful.

    Hugs,
    Tamerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know that I love your girls, I do not think they are child like, I think they are a real part of what you do so well. They always talk to me, I want to name them. Art is what you are doing, it can be whatever you love doing at the time.
    Right now I am tired of making Christmas. Heat wave, 22 degree's today. I am off to lunch with the girls. This is our Christmas lunch. We are going to a fondue place, I haven't done fondue since the 70's. I am styling today in my new fancy coat. I always go for sports type, but this one called my name. Merry Christmas, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think all of this "lack of interest" might be due to our economy....at least you have a tree up. They are cutting down all of the pretty pine trees across the street, so sad.
    I checked out DJ but saw nothing about classes????? I really liked her work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!