Followers

Monday, January 11, 2010

Look What I Found!....

Did everyone have a fun weekend? Or was it too cold to get out and do anything? I played in the studio part of the time, decided to catch up on some reading, and actually did a little baking last night....I made some focaccia bread. We were out and about on Saturday and it was a beautiful day....sorry!

Yesterday morning I headed out early to get a couple of things at Michael's and look what I found for $1 each....



They're packaging tape with a design. The white background is just a wrapper to show you what the design looks like. I thought they would be fun to use in my art journal....kind of like a transfer only not. And they will also jazz up any package you mail out. I think there were a couple other designs but I liked these four. I didn't see any other colors though....just red and green.

Remember back last year when I made an art journal and had the cover design paper upside down? That's the journal I've been using this month and I hate to admit it but I didn't do a very good job of sewing it together! It's beginning to come apart as you'll see in my first picture....

January 9:



For this one I was inspired by several YouTube videos by Sarah Whitmire. I had the butterfly clipping from a magazine and had been saving it for just the right time. I really like how this one turned out....not my usual bright colors! In case you're wondering that's masking tape on the page. I just tore off pieces and stuck them down. At one point I thought it looked like some kind of Asian writing.

January 10:



When HB saw this one he said it reminded him of jazz music! Not sure why, but I decided to go with that and found a quote (I used part of it) about jazz that seemed appropriate. This one is just a cool magazine page cut into strips and glued down. Then I added swirls and lines with a paint pen. Easy peasy!!

19 comments:

  1. It's been FREEZING even here in Georgia, Janet! We had snow last Friday and no school, so I lit a fire and moved my art stuff into the den to stay warm. It was great having an extra day to make art. I am so jealous: I have been looking everywhere for patterned tape. I don't think our Michael's has any, but I'm going to check again to be sure. I love your journal pages, especially the one that looks like Chinese characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 10 January page reminds me of Lincoln logs! Remember those? I don't know why but that's what I thought of. Art inspires every one in a different way! I was at the Farmers Market in Point Loma yesterday, but I think in was 80 in Coronado! I do feel bad for all those freezing people every place else! I'm just happy it's warm and sunny here.

    Hugs,
    Tamerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, I am so inspired by these journal pages. I love them both--I love the finished result of the masking tape--I'm going to have to try that. I have the masking tape--I've just never used it in my art yet. And focaccia bread!! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great score with the tape! Too bad we don't have a Michael's around here...
    I love both of your pages. In the first one I definitely thought it was chinese writing at first!
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather here in our Summer is incredibly hot! I'm still tanned and sunbathing every morning to keep it until Lucas is back so he can see his mom almost a mulata! LOL

    Your pages are beautiful, and I agree with your husband, the second art has this jazzy look with movements and groove. Love it!

    Hope you have a beautiful, creative week, Janet.

    Kisses from us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a great dose of "creativity" from your blog, Janet! Love your journal pages, and love the new packing tape...Would be fun to experiment with!
    And, your nice weather is wonderful for you, but this crazy NW winds and cool is brutal! No snow, just blasted WIND!!.....
    Have a great artsy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, look at that! ~ Packing Tape? ~ ! ~ What an idea! ~ These pages look so fun..an' to top it off, I listen to jazz every day!! ~ So the music surrounds everyone a different way. Too cool!

    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi...it warmed up today and the snow is melting off...first day in about six that the temp wasn't in single digets. Most of the schools here have been closed for over a week, they didn't get to go back after Christmas vacation. I'm sure it will be back to school tomorrow. I love that tape you found...we do not have anything like Michaels within 90 miles of us. Love those journal pages...later,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for commenting at my blog! I'm shocked anyone is still stopping by since I never write! :)

    I stop by here pretty frequently, but I don't comment much! I LOVE your "jazz" page - it's really cool!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool pages, Janet! Just now catching up after the New Year - which is old news now, lol. Had some technical difficulties, I hope are fixed now.
    It was beautiful here this weekend, though it's been clouding up today - still I know we're blessed with much warmer weather than so many places, so I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your pages, at least you made the journals, I never even got that far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find and beautiful art pages. The focaccia bread is always good, isn't it? Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. not cold here at all.. very hot ~ around 110F..

    foccacia bread ! yum.. I love to use that in my sandwich maker for Saturday lunches.. I pretend I am in a little cafe, cut the foccacia and arrange on my plate.. and sit back and eat.. I usually put salmon, cheese, tomato and onion on it.. quite tasty I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a bargain - so useful too.

    I'm in love with your jazz page. Your husband named it well.Isn't it great when stuff like that happens - a kind of symbiosis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice tape - Janet do you give titles to your journal pages? I do have to agree with your DH - the last one has a very jazzy feel to it...well spotted by your DH!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pages Janet. I am partial to the Asian feel of the masking tape one, but HB is right on about the Jazz one. YUM for focaccia bread! A friend gave us a huge Panetonne for New Years, and we have been toasting it for brekki (with Smart Balance, not real butter). It will be gone soon. We LOVE bread around here, which is the main reason I DO NOT own a breadmaker!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forgot to say, I am off to my Michaels to look for some of that tape. I am guessing it must have been in the $1. section? They had a new collection of clear stamps in the dollar section last time I was there. I got a few with birds and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really like the tapes - what a fab find!! Think the green one is my fave.
    The last page reminds me a bit of music...I was thinking that before I even read what you put about the jazz music!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great buy! I LOVE your pages too and I can see where HB would think of jazz music with the second one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!