Saturday, January 02, 2010

Viewing Day....

As HB would say, it's January the twoth, and we had a little adventure. Today was one of those days here in Southern California that makes the rest of the country hate us! Beautiful blue skies and temps in the mid to high 70's....in January!!

We got up early, ran a couple of errands, and then headed to Pasadena. We went to view the Rose Parade floats. After the parade is over they're on display for a couple of days. We parked at The Rose Bowl and then the fun began! I stood in the line for the shuttle bus while HB stood in the line to purchase tickets. This is just a small part of the line....



It snaked back and forth and we were advised there was at least an hour's wait for the shuttle. And they were right! But finally it arrived and after another 20 minute ride we arrived at the viewing area. This big guy greeted us....


These images are clickable to view larger.

The crowds were overwhelming! And it was almost impossible to get good photos.



But we plowed through and were able to get close to a few of the floats. I'll just post some of the photos here and put the rest on my flickr page.









We missed the most popular floats because we just couldn't get close to them. There were people just jam-packed in that area and by that time were were both tired and had been pushed and poked and shoved enough for one day! The overall area was about a 2.5 mile walk. And then when we were all finished looking at everything we had to get in another looooong line waiting for the buses to take us back to The Rose Bowl where we parked.

When we got home we both just sank down on the couch and sat there for awhile! The peace and quiet was wonderful! But I'd do it again because the floats are beautiful. And to see them up close makes you appreciate all the work that goes into them.

It was a good day....but one without any art created by me! I think I'll work in my art journal tonight.

How did you spend your Saturday? I hope it was fun....

22 comments:

  1. You were in my end of the world!
    I went beading, come and look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your weather. We are in the middle of a three day snow storm. It started last night and is supposed to go till Monday.

    The pictures of the floats are beautiful, I can only imagine how beautiful they were in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun time you had yesterday, Janet! And I am totally envious of your weather. We only made it to 26 degrees here. We are in the deep freeze for at least another week.
    I LOVE those floats! Must go to your flickr site and see more.
    Wish I could be in Pasedena on Thursday to see Alabama vs Texas national championship football game.
    Hope you have a great Sunday!
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome--the crowds would of got to me, but I still would of went too. What did I do--I painted, and I liked the outcome-I'll post it. It's nice and warm in my little art room--it only reached the teens here and snowing :( (I'm also a little sad because last year at this time I was in Disney, and it was near 80)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw an overhead shot of the stands full of people-no wonder you couldn't get close to much. Glad you had a fun day though. Thanks for the pics. I could use a little of that temperature. It's 22 here...not fun.
    It's that time of year when it's hard to remember why we live here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful floats! I also envy your weather, no snow but it is cold and gray here. It was really windy Friday night and we lost power for several hours. Can't wait for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you brave person. I think I clicked on every picture. They are so beautiful. My dh would never go into a crowd like that, but I would.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I would rather see them on display than wacth them in hte parade..that way you can get a goo look! Happy 2010

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun. My uncle's band was in the parade in 1950-something. I would love to do it - once!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How amazing to get a chance to see the floats up close! WOW! I'm so glad you went and shared photos with us! Enjoy your day today! REST! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful float pictures Janet. When we lived out there, we would go to see the floats every year, even though we only once went to the actual parade. It's a wonderful experience..yes if you can stand the crowds.

    Of course we watched the Parade on t.v. as well as the game. I am just about bowl gamed out...it is interfering with my art time. Only a couple more that I care about though, then it's back to ART.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed the flying pig and the birds....I watched most of the parade , on TV of course. It would be fun to see it up close, however there was no crowd in our living room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like fun! We've thought about *doing* the Elder Hostel trip to Pasadena that has folks working on a float and going to the parade. Ah, well. Looking at the parade on HGTV in HD wasn't bad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. O! I love those birdies on that float!!! What a SWEET time YOU had!!! Parades make me giddy!! and we just have little ones here!! If I saw a BIG one like that I would probably pee my pants!!!I saw some of the horses that day! hehehe HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many Moons ago Arney and I spent the night and watched the parade. The smell was amazing. I sneezed the whole time and looked awful I am sure. I think you were very brave to go into the crowds of people...we are in Idaho, we do not see these amounts of people in one place. Your pictures are so beautiful, I must say I found myself wanting to be there. We watched the parade on HD and thought it was lovely...
    Love you, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the photos of the Rose Parade, especially those birds and the flying pig. What a great parade. I'm in sunny Australia (actually wet and humid) and I've been reading about the cold and snow in North America so it's good to know that some of you have a bit of warm weather. I'm just visiting from DJ's class and I'm enjoying your blog. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Janet,
    Just wanted to stop by here and say hey. Love the photo's. Lot's of floats! Thanks for sharing with us! :)
    *HUGS*
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh ooh oooh, I have always wanted to see that parade in person, now I have the next best thing! You!!! I cannot believe they are all made of flowers. Simply amazing!!!! Happy New Year Janet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh i wish I was there to see them up close and personal, the flowers so spectacular.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a wonderful parade! Thanks for sharing with us Janet!
    cheers,
    Maria :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have had below zero temps for over two weeks now and there is snow everywhere! How lovely to see pictures of sunshine and those fabulous floats. Not sure I could have coped with those crowds and long queues though. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome pics, Janet! I can imagine the atmosphere would have been spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!