Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Some of This and A Little of That....

Thanks to everyone who has signed up for the ATC swap that Lee and I are doing. If you didn't see it already you can read about it here.

********************************************

I've been in the painting mood recently. I go in streaks and spurts about what I create. My problem is I like to do EVERYTHING! So consequently I tend to jump from this to that and back again. Are you like that or do you usually stick to one medium?

I painted this girl....



She turned out ok but then I started thinking about other things I could do to her so I scanned her into the computer, printed out a few copies and started adding things. First some curlicues....



I got carried away! I like it except for the ones on her mouth and the outer edge of her hair. The ones on her mouth look like a mustache! So then I decided to add some vines....



Again, I like it but think I'd leave the vines off her face and also the ones along the outer edge of her hair. I've left her in the original state but will probably add a little more detail to her soon. For now she still looks like this....



And since I haven't done them in quite awhile here are some snippets....

bought: Playing With Books by Jason Thompson; Scraps by Elsebeth Gynther & Christine Clemmensen; and Drawing Lab by Carla Sonheim

art: working on my ATCs for the swap and also a painting from Julie Prichard's Layer Love class. I took the class a long time ago but now I'm going back and refreshing my memory on the techniques.

food: enjoying all the summer fruits....blueberries, strawberries, peaches, melons....yum! I think I could live on fruit.

wearing: jeans and a paint splattered tee shirt....barefoot....I'm such a fashionista! And I think I forgot to comb my hair this morning although you usually can't tell anyway!!

listening to: the breeze outside the studio window. Yes, we actually have the windows open this morning! By afternoon we'll have to close up and turn on the cooler but for now I'm enjoying the fresh air.

I hope you have a good day. Do something fun!

15 comments:

  1. what a smart idea to scan it in before doing anything to the actual painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the original! The colors and the placement are lovely! But it's fun to experiment, and the ones with extra embellishments might be good for a card line!

    I have been doing the same here....a little window opening fresh air in the morning.....AC in the afternoon!

    Oh I am exactly the same when the muse strikes....I am all over the place with digital art, painting, revamping....I go on a rampage...then a lull happens...and everything I touch doesn't turn out or looks ugly, or is something that looks okay, but personally I'd never hang it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun drawing and I'm loving all the snippets! Sounds ike a wonderful summer. (I think I'm going to turn into a cherry!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet,
    Your creations are wonderful as usual. You really inspire me. I really like that idea of scanning in the picture. I need a cord for my flatbed scanner to take on this venture.

    In regards to sticking to a medium, I don't do it all. Based on what I read from professionals, I am supposed to stick to one thing and execute it well, but I'm not that kind of girl. I do whatever feels good to me at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post...especially your update on what's new with you! I should do this soon! lol Love your beautiful art and all of the detail! I always think the more detail the more interesting it is! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to scan and play Janet. She is great and I love the variations of her (even her mustache :))
    I tend to try a medium for a couple of pieces and then try another one. I don't say i master it before moving on but I keep at it till it works for me. Then i jump to something else. Well when I have tried a few then I jump back and forth from one to the other ( I am getting a vision of a pinball machine here!)but boy is it fun!
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like the squiggles on her face. Very cool to try things out first!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, Love your lady faces!! Gotta ask, when you print out the scan of your faces and then doodle on them.....what paper are you printing on???? Just regular printer paper?

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is really cute. I like the adds to her also, it will be fun to see what you end up doing to her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do some waetrcolours once in a while, but I stick to collage mostly love that the best!
    I do like the girl on the canvas with the vine on her face too! its different!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the original and all the fun you versions you came up with!
    Wish I didn't have quite so much going on right now, your swap sounds fun.
    It's been cooler here the last couple of days - and boy am I enjoying it. Wishing you cooler days too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can tell you are feeling very creative...Have fun, you have so much art in you, and when you let go it is wonderful. Your, Mary
    When you get a second, come see my post:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. She's going to be stunning, no matter how you paint her, Janet! Thanks for hosting the ATC Swap ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute face. I really like your idea of scanning the original and using it for a jumping off point. Makes your original art go farther. I'm back and forth from one thing to another all the time. Problem is, when I start something new, I buy all the supplies for it..then only do it one time, and it sits for a long time. Like Needlefelting..Ugh. Hope to pull that out again someday though. Right now I am still in the throes of jewelry making.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!