Monday, August 02, 2010

Going Back to Earlier Lessons....

I never did make it back yesterday to post any art....sorry! But I do have a little bit to share with you today. I did this on Saturday.

As you know I like painting on all kinds of surfaces and I don't like to waste anything. Quite some time ago I took apart some wallpaper books that I have. I like having the loose sheets of wallpaper to work with, and I was left with some heavy covers. They're quite sturdy and most of them are a good size.

I chose one cover, scraped off some of the loose paper and was left with this....



It's about 16" x 17"....almost square and I thought it would be fun to create some art on it. I had no idea what I wanted to do so I started off by gluing down some papers....



That seemed too busy so I started rolling on some paint....



I liked it but I still didn't have any idea where I was going with it....just playing around. Then I got an idea! I decided to go back and refresh myself with a class I took earlier last year. When Julie Prichard ran her first class, Layer Love, I joined right away and managed to do most of the lessons. Julie is very generous and let's you have continuing access to the classes you've taken so I just went back, chose one of the lessons and went through it again.

Here's what I have so far....



I'm not sure how I'll finish this off....any ideas?

While I was painting I had one of my art journals open on the work table and as always I cleaned off any excess paint onto the pages. This is what I ended up with....



I really like these two background pages. So far I haven't added anything to them but I'm sure I will. It was a fun afternoon, just playing in the studio....nothing special in mind, just going where the paint took me. After a couple of hectic days worrying about fire and smoke it was nice to relax and paint.

*********************************************
If you joined the ATC swap and haven't been notified of your partner, or if your name isn't on the list (see the previous post) please let me know. Also, remember to check your junk mail for emails that might have been sent there by mistake. I know my email sometimes puts legitimate emails into the junk folder if it doesn't recognize the address that sent it. Lee does most of the emails so watch for them.

Have a great day! Smile and laugh and sing....it makes people wonder what you're up to!!

12 comments:

  1. I love the back ground work..It is going to be beautiful..It already is..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I can't wait to see where you'll take it from there.
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, after what you've been through, some people would have used that as an excuse to take a break from creating.
    But you? Your creativity is endless, kid. I admire your attitude as well as your work; that's why I keep coming back.
    Hugs,
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im loving this WIP. I can't wait to see where it goes

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be fun to see where this ends up. BTW, I finally broke down and bought a moleskin journal today. It is filled with lovely, heavy watercolor paper. I will be starting my journal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cover so far. I love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day I will join one of your swaps.
    Glad your safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for a cover...you find art in everything...love the color, can't wait to see what you do!!!!
    I still think about your fire...we have had some here that have taken homes. Stay safe! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that technique. I haven't used it in a while. I think you may have inspired me to break out the scraps and glue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you did with the pages, Janet! There is something about blues and greens that makes me all happy inside. I'm keen to see how you finish it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Janet, the patchwork papers with your paint rolled over is UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOOOh lovely work! I have loved every lesson of Julie's so far! Right now I'm doing #4, the crackle paste one. I think it's wonderful that Julie gives "lifetime" access to the vids!! I will definitely take more classes from her again. xoS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!