Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Text Messaging - Crusade #43

It's "crusade" time again. This month Michelle asked us to use text to make a page.



Easy peasy, right? I have a couple of small drawers chock full of text that I've cut from magazines and books. I pulled them all out and was immediately overwhelmed. So I sorted them into B&W, red, and other colors.

It's not so easy to do a text only page but I finally managed to get a few done. I have to tell you though, these are not my best work. I got too hung up on what the words said.



My first page....remember I said these are not my best work!!



At some later date I might think of something to add to these....maybe use them as a background but for now they're just plain text.



I liked the "imagine it" section. I believe that if you can imagine it, you can make it happen. I guess I just wasn't able to imagine great text pages!!



The page above was the second one I tried. Still nothing very exciting but there are several parts that I like. The section that says "submit submit submit" was from a writer's magazine.



And I love the section that says "where the hell are all the women?"....they're all in their studios creating text message pages for Michelle!



After all that B&W I decided to move on to some color. By this time my work table was a mess!



This was even more difficult for me because not only was I getting hung up on the words but now they had colors, too! Am I weird, or what!!



I think that bottom left-hand corner sums it up...."a nasty piece of work"



By the time I got to the fourth page I just slapped some words down and called it a day! Now you might think I didn't enjoy doing this crusade but you'd be wrong. I did enjoy it. And I learned that I need to have a better eye when I'm saving text. Most of the text I had was just plain lettering....nothing fancy. I need to keep my eye out for more interesting text. I'll be scouring the magazines and books a little closer from now on. Thanks, Michelle, for another great learning experience.

30 comments:

  1. I need to give this a try. I too think just text would be highly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun exercise!! I will have to try that sometime(O:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're being too hard on yourself...I like all the pages...
    and they have alot to say just like all us women.....you did a great job......

    I'd like to try this myself....

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really cool pages!! The possibilities, the possibilities!! I'm such a sucker for strong Affirmations!! I like that second page the best for some unknown reason :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These test pages are wonderful! I like the composition of the pages...I think I'm going to try this too.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't try this while your driving!
    I can see where this would be fun. I like the color pages best.Kind of like putting a puzzle together.
    I just came here from the link on my blog of yours that I had wrong.
    All fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be a challenge for me. Out of my comfort zone.... yes I need to give it a try.
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a whole lotta words. Like you said, some will make a great background for future art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the pages look great. You are being too hard on yourself. These will make great backgrounds. How about slathering some paint on top and letting just a few words peak through. I think that is what I will try .
    I spent the evening cutting out words from magazines. I don't have access to my files So I a
    doing new ones. Maybe I will make some pages soon. I loved seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love them all, as they are same - txt wise but different words... great job of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. don't you just loive giving new challenges a go, for the learning experience?

    i think these would make great backgrounds or collage papers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just about to wonder if it was time for another Crusade. Thanks for posting this tho I try not to look at others' work or my artistic pea brain gets sidetracked.

    Time to go through the bins of text I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LIKE them all! Esp. the where the hell are all the women. Also..submit..not along with the women word of course...tee hee. Just because I like repetition of words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This crusade was a challenge for me too. It's not easy looking at the words and trying to NOT see their meaning.
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  15. That IS a challenge -- I think working with text only would be very difficult and I applaud your pages. Far more creative than I think I would have been!

    (And still loving my birthday surprise -- thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That is so cool, Janet! I am going to have to try that when I ever get back to journaling again. Which may be next month since I went back to work for a month. I am working on your ATCS and should have every thing finished by this week-end. OH,,,I am back on my regular blog again. They finally fixed my picture posting problems. And I intend to post alot more regularly now. Check out the goodies that Jill sent me today!
    I sure have missed blogging and miss you alot!
    xoxoxox0

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great! Isn't if funny that when we do our own pages we focus on the words, but likely not so much when looking at other pages? I found that today when I tried mine.....still drying so not posted yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun. I will definitely give this a try as soon as I get my journal started. I have the journal now to start.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job,you did 4, i could only do one and had a hard time,

    ReplyDelete
  20. impressive result ... good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great exercise in working with text, Janet...love the coloured pages best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your pages a lot! I love that on the one that says, a nasty piece of work, you also have Stress less and Get your groove back! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Phew! I was happy to get to the end and hear that you did find this a learning experience. I love that you divided into color groups, and admitted you were looking at the literal meanings rather than the shapes. I find it really interesting to see how each artist handled the challenge. I'm sure there are many who felt the same way you did, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think they all turned out fabulous! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree that just text pages are not that exiting, but I think they will make great backgrounds later on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "...get your groove back..." - that is my prefered one!great work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think your pages turned out well, and I can see the progression as you relaxed (okay, sort of) into it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the contrast of the black and white, but the color text page is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You've worked really hard to create some gorgeous pages. These will be awesome backgrounds ! Talk about messy workspace, I know exactly what you mean LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!