Friday, September 24, 2010

Is That a Light At the End of the Tunnel???

I'm sure you're all sick to death hearing about my art slump. Yesterday I forced myself to sit in the studio and do something....anything....I got out some cheapie craft paints and some grocery store ads that came in the mail and I made some papers. Nothing fancy, nothing great, but at least I got paint on some paper and I actually kinda like how they turned out.



It's a start. Maybe I can use these papers in some collage or as texture under a painting. I think I told you that a few days ago I put some paint on a journal page and then didn't know where to go from there....here's that unfinished page....



I had thought this might be something for the current art crusade which is all about scraping paint....I love using a palette knife to put down paint so that's what I did here. Then I added the stencil of backwards ABC's....that didn't do much so I added some text and that seemed too much on top, so more paint to cover the text and that's where I am right now. YUK!

Also I mentioned that earlier I had drawn out two more faces that would have doodled hair. These are on black backgrounds so they're difficult to see....and keep in mind they're in the very beginning stages but here they are....



I did a blond and a brunette earlier so I thought I needed a redhead. I wanted her to be looking over her shoulder so I found this picture in a magazine. This way she has lots of hair to work with. You might be able to see a couple of curls drawn in off to the left....those are going to go. I just started to put down some paint and then the slump really hit hard so these have been sitting on my table for a long time.



This is the other face I wanted to do....also from a magazine picture. Both of these will eventually have doodled hair. I have them in my mind but I just haven't been able to get myself to work on them.

HB is gone for part of the day so I'm going to stay in the studio and see if I can do something else. Maybe even start working on these two faces. Who knows....maybe the slump is ending. I sure hope so. I hope that's a light at the end of the tunnel and not a freight train heading my way!

16 comments:

  1. You are a good start back, Janet. Your orange haired lady could evolved into something spectacular for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you are working on getting your muse back. Me - I have the muse and I'm backing to move and no way to get anything done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your "beginnings" the paper looks fantastic.
    I should come and visit you more often, but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep showing up and tend to your art!! It'll be ok :D
    You're gonna have a lot of fun with that red hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey!! progress, you're making head way. looks like you are past the end of the tunnel. even if they are not finished they are started. i don't like to push a piece, if it doesn't feel right or i don't know where to go next, i move onto something else. a couple days and you'll know just what the piece needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Janet,
    Any art is good art!
    Glad to see you back in your studio being creative.
    Have a great weekend,
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your backgrounds are a good start for sure. And I personally like the one in your art journal. You could complete it by adding maybe a silhouette? It would really pop in black against that colourful background, I think.

    Glad to see you're slowly getting back to art. And if it turns out to be a train on the other side of that tunnel, maybe you could jump on it and join the circus!!! ;-) (Sorry, I'm reading Water for Elephants right now... circus is on my mind!)

    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you are getting back into it. Love the papers.
    Have a great weekend
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The papers look lovely Janet and I love the girls. Sounds like you have made a step forward so that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Janet. Having lots of background papers on hand can be comforting. I like the black background pages, and the red hair lady looks interesting so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving those girls, and the art papers. Ove the red head girl, I always wanted red hair, I always thought when younger they had more confidence than me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. somewhere in the artist's way.. it says all you have to do is show up each day and the Creator will do the rest.... xoxo
    [love the backgrounds :) ]

    ReplyDelete
  13. a lovely red-head!
    recently i have had an urge to get out my water colors again and create~i have a green man image i want to create for a yule gift...next week i shall go out and buy a new pristine water color pad :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It takes a while Janet. I have totally been where you are right now. But your slowly getting your Mojo back. Just try a little bit each day but don't force it if it isn't there. Hang in there!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey...you did something, that counts for something...I love the red haired girl...the other face you sketched looks interesting...can't wait to see what you do...
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!