Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Busy Weekend....

I'm really late in the day getting anything posted....just busy with errands and such. My daughter just called....she went to Jon Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity that was held in Washington, DC. She said it was lots of fun and soooooo many people! If she got any good pictures I'll share them but so far she's still on her way back home to Delaware.

*******************************************
I recently joined another workshop! This one is Paint Free by Wyanne. One of the first things we were supposed to do was use crayons to color a picture. Here's the one I'm working on.



It isn't finished and possibly won't ever be finished! I hate trying to color on printer paper, and crayons don't have the same consistency that they used to have. They much more waxier and slick. I don't like them! But the workshop is fun and I'm learning some new stuff. More from that later.

*********************************************
The other thing I've been doing is drawing a doodle for a fun project. Warren over at World Doodle Challenge is trying to get one million doodles! Here's the info on how you can join in:

1. You don’t need to be able to draw well. A doodle is meant to be whatever comes to mind.
2. You can doodle on anything, a blank piece of paper, a napkin, a post-it, a lined page, a note book anything at all.
3. Your doodle can be any size, the ideal size would be 5 x8 inches or what ever you like.
4. You can use one color or many and the doodle can be done while you are in a meeting, on the phone, watching television, on the train…. anywhere you like
5. The doodle can be of anything, what ever pops into your head. just pick up a pen and draw.
6. The important thing is you must date stamp your doodle and list which City and Country you are in.
7. If you are traveling you can submit doodles from multiple cities.
8. Scan your doodle or take a photo and e-mail it to: warren@tjomiesvintagestationery.com
9. I will begin to post the world doodles as I start receiving them (I anticipate it will take a while to kick off, with the first few trickling in)
10. Your doodles will eventually wind up in a world book, and will be used to support charities.

Doesn't this sound like fun?? I hadn't done any doodles or zentangles for a long time but I got out my 5" x 8.5" journal that has graph paper and I started drawing. Here's where I worked on my entry:



And here's a close-up of my zen/doodle....



I forgot how soothing it is to sit and do one of these. I just get lost in the lines and forget about whatever is happening around me. Using the graph paper was fun, too. It made it a lot easier to do some of the designs. I may just do a few more of these!

Happy Halloween!!!

19 comments:

  1. You are busy! Love the woven look in the doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you got a new box of crayons??? You doodle so well, I am not a doodler...but if by chance one comes up out of the blue, I will send it.
    miss you, Love you, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best doodler I know. That doodle is fantastic....

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogaloorgirl8:45 PM

    the doodle is stunning,Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son went to the Rally to Restore Sanity too! He said the same thing as your daughter. Isn't that interesting? No one does doodles as you. I don't even like calling them doodles... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I know completely what you mean about crayons.. remember when the use to be really soft and easy to use.. now they are just awful.. even expensive ones are the same.. I adored the smell of the ones that i had when I went to school

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the zentangle, they are soothing and pleasing to do. Oh another free class huh. I am interested in seeing what you do with this one.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. The zen-doodle is gorgeous, Janet! Crayons just aren't the same any more. I remember in school we had 'Cray-pas' crayons and they were so rich and creamy....I think they were like an oil pastel crayon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet,
    Great to see you back in your studio producing fantastic art.
    Love the doodles!
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the doodle! And thanks for the information about the doodle challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project this is and I wish I could "doodle" like you :)
    I've heard of Wyanne's class--kind of like Mystele's Gut Art? I was thinking about it, but never any time--next month I'll have lots more free time--just Christmas coming (piece of cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet, I love your doodles!! Love them!! I have not tried to zentangle on graph paper, now you made me want to do that too!! I don't know if I could color with crayons though.....i'm pretty marker-dependent at this point in my life!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the wonderful doodle and mention of the world doodle challenge. I am putting a link to your blog on my site as well. Tell all your followers to scribble ANYTHING (a doodle can be what ever you draw)and send them in. We have a long way to go to reach 1 million....

    Thanks again for the incredible post.
    Warren
    http://www.thedoodledaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love these doodles and zentangles of yours - I try but somehow they come out all funky!

    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I never thought of doodling on graph paper but seeing how beautifully yours came out, I'm really tempted to try. If only I had graph paper on hand!
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the weave look of this doodle here...very talented, something I ought to try without using any of my art programs to do it for me!

    Gee I hadn't really sit down with a big box of crayons in a very very very VERY LONG TIME myself, not sure if I would even want to, Your much like me I too do not care much for the feel of the crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun times, Janet. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the doodle, the project sounds like a fun one. I have not used graph paper for designs for a long time, but used to use it as a kid all the time. I don't like regular crayons either, but I love my watercolor crayons. You can use them as crayons or wet them and use as watercolor, lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love your doodles Janet and I am drawn to the woven elements too. Just beautiful. I am going over to visit the blog and have a look.
    I agree about the crayons. I don't like using them either.
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!