Saturday, January 22, 2011

Carving Eraser Stamps....

Thank you for all your comments about my last drawing. She was fun to work on but I'm really glad she's finished. I've been resting my hand....not doing too much art over the past few days but I did manage to keep busy in the studio.

I puttered around, organized some things, and generally just did a little straightening up. I try to keep my chaos under control because I know I work better in a somewhat tidy room.

And I carved some little stamps. Once again I used some erasers I got at the dollar store but this time they were the little white plastic ones. I think I got them five for $1 and as you will see I used both sides so I got 10 stamps for $1....not too bad. And I still have more....



I tried to stay with designs that were simple. And I wanted one with my name.



I doubt if I'll ever use the flower stamp but I was fun to try it. That one stamp on the right is not a white eraser but one of those cheapie plastic ones that are colored with a design already on it. In the previous picture you can see it has a sort of scroll design....I just carved what was on the eraser. Then on the backside I just did lines both ways but it's difficult to see them because of the scroll design of the eraser.



Here you can see how they stamped on a scrap of paper....



The one that has the big "X" on it reminds me of the English flag but I wasn't trying for that when I carved it.



I'm happy with these little stamps and will probably make more today. And I have some other drawings floating around in my head but I don't want to start one right away. Maybe next week.

20 comments:

  1. What fun. I have not tried to carve my own stamps but it looks like fun. I can see them used in some of your fabulous backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did a great job. I like the one with janet, thats a great idea, I am going to do my own name. Yours come out so clear, you know how to crave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice going, Janet. Like the abstracts and especially the leaf. I LIKE to flower one. Why would you not use it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great, Janet...now you have me itching to carve my own stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very clever, Janet. I like them a lot. I also like the idea that you were able to get them for such a good deal. You have inspired me to try to carve some of my own stamps. That would be a fun way to create an original background.
    Hugs,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stamps look fun, I know I have some erasers lying around somewhere....You did a great job..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! I took a carving class a number of years ago, had so much fun. I really meant to carve more but never did. You got me inspired. I'm sure I have a few of those erasers somewhere. I'm going to look for the ones I carved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the flower stamp. It's funny that you might not use it cause that's the one that jumped out at me. They are all cool. Kind of have a wood cut look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw those on another blog and have a hankering to do them too!! Yours are amazing, and that flower is awesome....I just love it!!! I love the name and all the different patterns...good job..Even before I saw yours I told Pepper to keep her eye out for some big ones!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet...great job on the stamps! I've been inspired by Traci to try some and seeing yours has made me want to try doing some even more.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's a really cool idea - I love that you are making such neat stamps - I would have never thought of it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of carving erasers for stamping! These are so cool...where on earth did you learn at how to do this little trick?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun collection! You've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow what a variety of fun stamps... cant wait to see how you use them. I think you may have inspired me again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool Janet.
    Did you use an exacto knife?
    I'd love to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. gotta get to the craft store for some erasers. what a great idea, so much less expensive then purchasing ready made stamps. plus the fun of carving them yourself. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awsome! I'll definitly buy a carving set soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, i´m woundering about your eraser stamps. Did you make them yourself???.

    I love your blog,

    Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really need to try this Janet. I love your carving and the fact that you got 10 stamps for $1. What a bargain. Is that a lino cutting tool you are using to carve with?
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Janet, Your hand is steady at carving! What beautiful stamps and designs. You could use the flower stamp at the bottom of an art jrnl page in a row of repeating flowers.... all are super cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!