Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Doin' Some Art....

Let's get back to some art! It's been awhile and I've actually been doing some things recently but nothing is finished.

You may have noticed a couple of new buttons over there on the right side....one for Traci Bautista's daily art journaling and another one for Milliande's journaling prompts. I'm not saying I'm going to be doing either one of them every single day but I am keeping an eye on both of those sites and learning new things and putting some of them to use. I've found when I try to do something every day I usually lose interest and then have to force myself to participate and that's no fun. So this year I'm doing what I want, when I want, and that's it!

One of the things I'm working on is a 20" x 16" canvas that I had previously played around on a few years ago. Here is a link to see what it looked like before. Just a big mess! So here's a couple of close-up shots of where it's going now....remember all photos are clickable to view larger....



I used Golden's Fiber Paste to give it some texture.



I love this corner and the texture that I achieved....I just don't remember how I did it! It was part of the original and I did that back in early 2009 so I can't remember what I did! I guess it does pay to keep notes on what you do.

I also made a simple journal page about the recent snow....



I used two shades of light blue on the background and then rollered some white paint over a stencil. I used one of my photos and just added the date and a small mention along the bottom.



I didn't have an actual snowflake stencil so I just chose something light and airy.

And lastly I made myself a zebra print stamp with inspiration from Milliande....



I carved it from an oversized pink eraser I got at the dollar store!



Here it is next to the ink pad so you can get an idea of its size.



Since the eraser is so thick I was able to carve another zebra design on the other side. I may also do some small designs along the edges. All this for one dollar!! Not bad, huh!

I haven't used the stamps in my journal yet but I have plans to do so today. Have a fun day whatever you do!!!!

12 comments:

  1. I'm also keeping an eye on Traci's blog.
    Love the way your canvas is turning out. Can't wait to see the rest.
    And isn't carving your own stamps fun? I've seen those big erasers too but I still have real carving material to use before I buy anything else...
    Hugs
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - a burst of creativity.. glad you journaled the snow day..
    and love that textured painting area!! brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that texture looks yummy. And love the snow journal. And how fun to be making your own stamps. I've still to try that. You certainly seem to be getting a lot of value out of that one dollar!

    Have a lovely creative year, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you got your dollars worth there Janet!
    I think the colour and texture you have been reowrking is so pretty. Let us see when it is done.
    As for the snow, you have had more than we have had all winter so far.
    Just a dusting this morning, and it is almost all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been watching Traci's blog but I have Milliande's and love your zebra stamps... Glad to see such luicioius art going on here....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Janet!
    I too am trying to begin an art journal. It's my "anything goes" journal..hope to blog about it soon. I just hate to feel any pressure and don't want it to be labeled any thing specific...nor do I like feeling like I HAVE to do something in it everyday!
    It ruins it for me too...so no rules, no labels....hope to share now and then but can't promise that either. LOL
    Love your eraser stamp! Have fun and hope to see you lots this year! xoxo betzie

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all very cool -- and of course they are inspiring to me! You are inspiring me to dig out the huge canvas I started this summer. Then life got in the way. But I think there could be new life in it -- with a little bit of the old1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet...I joined Traci's DAJ and also plan to keep my eye on Julie's (Balzer Designs) journal prompts...hers are every day...I don't do every day. I haven't even seen Millande's site lately...too many ways to go :) I love that zebra stamp!! And the texture on your big canvas looks amazing!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't looked at Traci's yet, but am looking at Milliande's. Also trying the free Strathmore ... keeping the monkey mind at bay! Love the stamp. I need to hit the dollar stores. Everyone in blogland has been busy and I don't think I'll ever catch up with my visiting! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see that you are back to your art again - I really love your journal page. As for the snow! I certainly never expected to see snow pictures on your blog! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm watching Traci's and Milliande's blogs as well. My goal for this year is to do some form of art every day too.
    I love your stamp, will definately have to have a go at that.
    Snow journal page is beautiful, so serene and I love the stencil you used - perfect!
    Love the texture on the canvas. Lots of interesting layers
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that's a great eraser stamp idea!
    I'll have to check out those links (though I'm trying to not get too caught up in 'surfing' - or at least, not as much. I'm so easily distracted!).
    Love the texture - can't wait to see where you go with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!