Monday, May 16, 2011

An Unfinished Journal Spread....

Okay, now that we've established that blogging isn't dead (!!) I'll show you what I've done recently. It isn't much but at least I did a little something in the studio over the weekend.

I actually felt like sitting in front of the fireplace! It's been very chilly and windy here, only getting into the low 60's during the daytime. I curled up in bed one afternoon and spent a couple of hours reading.

Remember I showed you that journal spread with all the magazine strips on it? Well, I brayed over it with some white paint....

I love the texture that it produced. 
You can click on all the photos to see them larger.

Then I added some scrolly stuff in a couple of corners....

And some diamond shaped borders along two sides....

Next I used a stencil and drew a skyline with pencil
and then outlined it with my paint pen....

I filled it in with a brush and black paint and then 
sandpapered over everything to give it a grungy look.

That's as far as I've gone with this spread. I'm not sure what I want to do next or what I want the page to be about so I'm not going to rush it. I like it the way it is but I know it needs more....I'm just not sure what that will be. It may sit like this for days or even months before I decide what to do next. I love making backgrounds but sometimes they sit for a long time before I put anything on them.

Now I'm off to enjoy a hot cup of "fake" coffee and warm up!

22 comments:

  1. The low 60's ...I'll take that! This Spring is so cold, even my lettuce in the garden is shivering.
    Love your pages.That is a great stencil (the Buildings) and am anxious to see what you do with it. Stay warm! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous start to a great page. I love the structure of the black buildings.
    What a super way to spend a couple of hours, with a book. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the texture you created for the background! Your spread is really interesting so far and I can't wait to see it evolve.
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just before I saw your post I watched a program on the telly about the Norwegian Royal Recidence. Your spread reminded me of what I saw, untill you made it a city.
    I really like how it looks and am exited to see it done whenever that might be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this with the magazines and the skyline ... making my fingers itch! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love it, where did you get that stencil, I love how you made it black great, just great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great skyline stencil...goes well with the "grungy" look of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that grungy urban background goes perfectly with the city skyline - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cool! What a creative way to do a spread. It's got that edgy feel that I love! We just got hailed on with crashing thunder and the cold is so in my bones! I need to take a clue from you and go snuggle under the covers with my book. Can't wait for summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is really cool Janet. I love the idea of the strips of magazine as the base.

    ReplyDelete
  11. linda used the word I was going to use, it is fabulous, I am looking forward to seeing it completed.
    No way is blogging dead when we can look at such fun art form our Janet!!!! your, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks pretty neat, and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good to me Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that textured background, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this work - there is something about buildings that i find fascinating. this piece has got me thinking of ideas - isn't it wonderful how we can share and inspire others - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice pages. i love the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two things -- it's warmer where you are than here. Which stinks on my end. And that's terrific! I love the texture and I like your showing the stages -- can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like it's ready for some graffiti writing, maybe your favourite message or quote?
    I love what you've done so far...happy backgrounding my friend. Be sure to stay warm...if it's still chilly, I mean!

    Ciao Bella!


    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi...I've been preoccupied the last two days...ha!I like the way you started on this spread...it will look amazing when you finish it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE where you're going with this journal spread, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you have done with this background Janet and I love the texture too. Another one to try. I am looking forward to see what you do to it
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic idea! I so much enjoy your work - thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!