Sunday, August 07, 2011

I'm Still Doing Them....

I'm doing a little catch-up here on the blog. I haven't had much computer time the past few days....sorry I haven't been around to visit much. I'll be doing some of that later today.
*******************************************
Last night HB and I walked down to the park for another summer concert. It was a tribute band doing Bruce Springsteen. If you ever have a chance to see a band called The Rising....DON'T!! It was terrible. The sound mix was beyond bad and the band itself wasn't much better. Maybe they were having an off night but HB and I both felt, even at $5 a piece for tickets, that we were robbed!

*******************************************
I'm so proud of myself for still keeping up with the index cards. I did another little grouping to catch you up through yesterday. I haven't done one yet for today. I usually do my cards in the evening.


And I've also been doing my daily faces although I must admit that I haven't had a lot of time so I've just been doing quick pencil sketches in my moleskine....things I hope to later turn into paintings.

The girl on the left was inspired by a painting I saw on Laila's blog. I like exotic, ethnic looking women and want to try one. Then the next day I drew a woman with a flower in her hair.

The drawing on the left will eventually be a mermaid, and the girl on the right is just a face....maybe a "girl-next-door" type. When I get time I'll try to develop these into some paintings but for now this is what I had time to do....at least I'm sticking to the daily face challenge although I may not be following the rules exactly!
****************************************
Yesterday HB and I harvested almonds and nectarines. Usually our nectarines aren't all that good but I'm going to try making some Spiced Nectarine Butter. We have a fairly good crop this year and I would like to be able to use them for something.The almonds always get used. It's nice having the almond trees even though they're in the front yard. Who plants nut trees in the front yard!!! Obviously someone did here. And one of them is fairly close to the sidewalk so anyone can walk by and grab an almond.

Okay, I'm off to the office supply store for paper and ink cartridges. I hope you're having a good weekend....

18 comments:

  1. When I look at the one on the bottom right I think of an ancient Egyptian woman--like Elizabeth Taylor portrayed in her movie Cleopatra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First for sure if I walked by your tree i would grap a handful of those almonds, I love your faces, and your icads....not to much longer and the challenge is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow,, thats amazing having a almond tree in the front yard,,, wow, amazing work and the cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do sound busy! I'm proud of you for keeping up with everything. I like the ethnic looking woman- I'm sure it will be beautiful as a painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I love the sounds of that spiced nectarine butter!
    I love your faces, they all have a character of their own, can't wait to see what you do with them
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice sketches Janet, they are looking great. Your icad continue to be awesome too. I am delighted that you are still doing them. Almonds and nectarines sound so great. Lucky you. Sarah made some corn chowder yesterday that was so good.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ICADs are so fun to look at. And your faces are always beautiful to me.
    Almonds... mmmm...
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your faces all look great, I'm sure they will end up as beauties every single one of them.
    Nectarines and almonds sounds excotic and you sounds busy.
    How fun that I could inspire you for once, you inspires me all the time.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE nectarines! The nectarine butter sounds tasty.

    Wonderful art and drawings, Janet...I like the exotic lady. Well done on keeping up with your index cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet; Congrats on sticking with those index cards. I usually get bored and can't stick with something for too long, but you are doing fabulous. I love how you are simply sketching those ladies everyday - good for you! I should try to do something like this too.
    Those peaches and almonds sound wonderful.
    Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Give me your address. I shall sneak by at night and clean out your almond tree!!! I will leave a thank you note for sure!!! Silly me.
    Love all your latest creations. You are prolific. My son has not been by yet so don't have any computer answers yet...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ms. Wee devours almonds. It's her 2nd fav nut, next to pistachio, or however you spell that! I have to pay big bucks for these almonds and you have them for free! Lucky!Actually, unless I buy them at a pet store, I cant even get any nuts in the shell right now because they are out of season. They come into the stores in late October. Every Oct. we buy 4 lbs of almonds, 12 lbs walnuts, 1 lb pecans, 1 lb hazelnuts. I just ran out! Janet, you want a Macaw?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almond trees...that sounds amazing! I love that you are spending time enjoying outdoor concerts this summer...even if some of them are a bust. Nice work continuing with the ICAD and face drawing challenges...that's a lot to keep up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have so much going on. You can be proud that you are continuing on with the index cards.
    Go girl they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Janet...I'm late as usual. I have been really busy trying to keep up with my classes and not doing a very good job of that. I'm really liking the faces you have been doing...the exotic woman is great!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your drawings are wonderful and looking forward at seeing what you will do with them.

    The last time I went to see a concert that tribute a singer wasn't long ago, it was also terrible as well, this one singer was trying to sound like Jonny Cash and the tone of his voice was too high of a pitch to get it right.

    Lucy you to have an Almond tree, Almonds are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you keeping up on the portraits... I have a few not posted..not sure if I will either...

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  18. You HAVE been busy! Love this -- and also the portrait (in an earlier post!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!