Wednesday, August 03, 2011

My Second Portrait....

This is going to be a quickie post today. I've got tons of things to do and not much time to do them!

Yesterday I did the second painting for the portrait a day challenge. I didn't completely read Violette's post about the challenge and missed the part where it was supposed to be a "self-portrait"....I asked her if I could just do faces and not my own. She replied that every picture we paint has a little bit of ourselves in it so I could paint other faces. Whew! That's good news. I didn't want to have to paint saggy skin and wrinkles! So here's the one I did yesterday....


Her hair is done with a circle punch from Martha Stewart (Happy Birthday, Martha! Today is her birthday. ) because you know how I hate to paint hair. I randomly tore the words out of a book.

This painting is done on a nice piece of wood that I got at the $.99 Store. It had some other picture on it but I just sanded it off and gessoed over the whole thing. So for $.99 I got a great substrate to work on.

I'll post my index cards later in the week. Now I have to get busy and get all my chores done....

PS - take a quick peek at part of our grape harvest over on my photo blog.

14 comments:

  1. oooo happy birthday MArtha! If I was feeling better I would totally go throw myself a Martha birthday party for this evening!
    I love her and her hair. I think because you don't like doing traditional hair it makes me like your subjects hair all the more since it is so creative and well done.
    love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like her, especially the hair :-). And the words seem very fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everthing about this painting, her hair, her eyes and her lips. The whole painting just comes together so well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's fantastic Janet! And I love I can come here for creative ways to do hair. A circle punch, who would have thought lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i must say i am a little envious of the time you have to create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing idea for her hair! Another idea to file away! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hair Janet. I too thought the challenge was just portraits and that is what I plan to do. I did one today that I will post tomorrow. I sure don't want to do 30 self portraits but I can do 30 portraits so I will give it my best shot.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. how clever to make the hair using a punch - getting me thinking of all sorts of new creative ideas for hair, which can sometimes be the make or break of a portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work Janet!
    [Sometimes those challenges and group art inspirations are hard to keep up with!
    I do love the prompts and inspiration when I am "stuck"!]
    I like your idea of reusing a decorative board!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great picture, I hate doing hair to, and I love yours. I could also attend Marthas party

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet...I've been so busy I haven't even visited any other blogs. I love this idea of doing a portrait a day. You are doing great thus far. I love this gal's hair...I like "different" hair! Yesterday's is really good too...I like the pinky shade of her cheeks...all very nice!!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was the first thing I had notice...the hair! I really like at how you did the hair a lot.

    Great find for only 99 cents, I wonder who ever the person was that had gave up their little treasures would of ever dream that it would be used for something wonderful in way of art with your talent?

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for your encouraging comments over at my site. I think you solved the "hair problem" in a very clever way at this girl. It works well and have a special twist to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the same mistake...but I think that's because she didn't announce it was a self portrait on the first post about it! I prefer doing something different too!
    Nice job!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!