Thursday, August 04, 2011

Day 3 of Portrait a Day....

Several months ago I took a small workshop at Art Trader Magazine. I think it was called Colorful Funky Ladies or something like that. It was a fun workshop that taught exaggerated faces, necks, and bodies. I have mostly just played around with the techniques on a small scale but yesterday I decided to try it on the face for the day.

Here's what I came up with....


The lines in the upper left corner were already on this paper and I was going to erase them but HB thought they looked industrial and said they should stay. I'm still not convinced but they're just pencil so I can always get rid of them later.

I did this face with colored pencils and a bit of watercolor pencil. I'm not completely happy with her but I learned some things so it was worth it.Her jewelry is done with a metallic silver colored pencil. It doesn't show up in the picture.

I'm still trying to get some things done around here so I might be scarce around Blogland for a day or so. I hope you have a great day....

17 comments:

  1. Well HB is correct, them lines do gives your picture a rather nice look to it, to me it gives me the impression of the modern city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet I agree with HB the lines look great in there! Plus I love your girl, she's a little different than usual. Very modern looking!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is really fun. I think HB is right too because the lines underline the modern look. I'm so impressed of all the teckniques you can handle. You're really a skilled person and someone to follow as a lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with HB, I think the lines add interest and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HB got it right... well that's my opinion anyway. And a great girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's gorgeous and I agree with HB, they should stay. Beautiful.
    Have a great day. Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like her a lot and I like the lines. Go HB!!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too agree with HB. The lines add just the right touch and make the picture more interesting. UGOGIRL!!! UGOHB too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i totally love this girl, she is funky

    ReplyDelete
  10. love those big earrings... one of my must have's! I love earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally fun portrait...I agree with the others...I'm liking the lines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your picture is great and I do like the lines too. HB is so right about that. I am glad to be a rebel playing along with you on this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep, i say keep the lines too.
    and Janet i love the look of your girl, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. muctioI bet HB never thought so many females would agree with him at the one time--add me to the list.Love the lady too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her, she is a real stand out. HB has a good eye, this is really fun. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your ladies just make me smile :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with the general consensus here, HB's suggestion is a good one. I do love this funky lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!