Thursday, November 17, 2011

AEDM - Day 16 and FFTT and Other Stuff!

Yesterday I fell behind in posting but I did keep up with my AEDM. Wednesdays are probably my busiest day of the week because HB and I do all our grocery shopping and run any other errands we need to do on that day. I like getting most everything done but it does make for a hectic time. Plus I didn't even have much of the evening because we had a movie from Netflix. Many evenings I can slip away for a bit of studio time but not last night....it was Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and you know how I love me some Johnny Depp!! Captain Jack Sparrow is one of my favorite characters.

So back to business....I managed to work on some mandala designs yesterday. I'm taking a FREE mandala class at willing.ning. We were given templates with a basic design to work from and these are the ones I did....


Here they are again....
I did my lines with ink in the one above.
The one above here has some inked lines
 and some are not inked yet. 
I'll add some color, too but I didn't have time yet.
**********************************************
I also prepped another big canvas....
This one is 24" x 30"....
I think that's the biggest one I've worked on yet.
I love the texture of painting over torn book pages.
I sit with an old book and a metal ruler
and just randomly tear pages for later use.
I have such an exciting life!!!
*********************************************
And that's not all for today! It's also Food For Thought Thursday. This week I didn't take any photos until last night and the light was terrible so please excuse the horrible picture....


Since it was such a busy day HB and I had salmon burgers and I made sweet potato fries in the oven. You can tell I'm a very plain Jane when it comes to food. Nothing on my burger and nothing on my fries! That's the way I eat most things. I love embellishments in art but not on my food. I can honestly say I've never had a French fry with ketchup. That's almost un-American!! Oh, and for dessert I had a piece of pumpkin cake with nutmeg flavored cream cheese frosting! YUM!!!

Now I'm off to create something today. I hope to have a finished painting for you tomorrow. I'm putting the finishing touches on that canvas I prepped last week.

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, so much good stuff to comment on here! I agree with you that it would be pretty tough to look away from Johnny Depp on the screen...wouldn't want to miss a moment! I have been fascinated with mandalas lately, so thank you for sharing the link. Yours are gorgeous. What tools are you using to create them? Perhaps you could write a post about your process. Great prepped canvas too...nothing better than a text background for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Janet how fun to see your mandalas. Can't wait to see some colour in them. I'm not much of a TV or film watcher so I can't comment on that but I think it's important to rest ones minds every now and then. I too like to work on old bookpages and I'm quite sure you will do some of your magic upon your new canvas. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. free mandala class? this old plate spinner must physically restrain herself from signing up immediately . so many cool things to do in this world and you know I want to do them ALL. I like the way yours came out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore sweet potato fries! Thanks for playing in FFTT! Your mandalas are lovely. Happy Thursday ~Robin Panzer Art Studio 33

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a girl that says she was too busy to do some art you still have heaps for us to look at.
    I am taking the free mandala course too Janet but haven't drawn mine yet, that is on todays list. I love yours, they are so creative and I can't wait to see some colour on them, although sometimes I don't colour mine beacuse I just like the patterns in b&w.
    Love the base of your next canvas.
    Salmon burgers and sweet potato fries sounds yummy. I don't have sauce with my fries either. Desert sounds divine, I've never thought of putting nutmeg in my cream cheese frosting.
    You always give me so many ideas to try Janet, have a great day
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet. Love your mandalas. I've been trying to learn how to do mandalas as well. Your mandala is looking great. Lotus has being doing mandala's as well. Your sweet potato fries look awesome. I just cooked some yams in the oven yesterday. It was our first year with yams in the garden and they were awesome. I like my hamburger plain as well, just lettuce. Take care and Happy FFTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, your mandalas look awesome! They are really going to pop when the colour goes on.

    Love the prep for your next canvas.

    I actually think the poor lighting added a nice mood to your food pic. Your dinner looked delicious!

    I'm already looking forward to your next post.

    Love,
    Serena xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the book page-covered canvas. I love sweet potato fries (I like those plain too - but I do sometimes use ketchup - the kind without corn syrup, on regular fries). And that cake, you described - yum! I love pumpkin cake though I've never had it with nutmeg flavored cream cheese frosting - but I swear I can almost taste it right now. Mm-m-m...

    ReplyDelete
  9. you do have an exciting life. look at what you've created. tearing paper can be very therapeutic. i really like the way you layed out you torn paper on the canvas, it almost looks woven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your meal looks lovely, and that's a great design. Thanks for showing your prep process too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet,
    Ooh, love your Mandalas's.
    I'm sure Guada will be thrilled to see yours.
    I also signed up but hm, I've not even played with a compass much through my life (i'm a bit embarrassed to be showing mine until a play a LOT more). lol
    Well done on your pieces.
    Have a great weekend,
    Creative hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, that pumpkin cake sounds amazing!
    As are those mandalas!!! Wow - that is so cool, I am really impressed and can't wait to see what you do with them next!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow re you sure your not teaching that mandala class,those are terrific, Isigned up but have not played yet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the mandalas and can't wait to see them in color! And your dinner looks great. LOVE sweet potato fries. Which reminds me, time to buy some sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!