Thursday, December 15, 2011

FFTT and A Couple More Girls

First of all, I've been absent from Food For Thought Thursday for a few weeks but I'm back to share some food with you. Like everyone else, I've been busy making Christmas cookies. My kids are easy to do gifts for at Christmas....all they ever want is a box of Mocha Nut cookies! So this year I've made three batches of these cookies, one for my son, one for my daughter and one for us.

They're fairly simple and easy to make, 
which is a good thing since I have to do so many.


This is basically all you need!

Mocha Nut Cookies

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream these together. Then add:

2 teaspoons instant coffee
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix this together and then add:

2 cups finely chopped pecans 
(I use my food processor to get them very finely chopped)

Refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours.
 Shape into 1 inch balls, place on cookie sheet and bake at 325ยบ for 15 minutes.
 Cool and then roll in powdered sugar.

Note: these cookies are very fragile when you first remove them from the cookie sheet but after they cool a bit they're much less crumbly and easier to handle. I send these through the mail (to Alaska and Delaware) and they arrive safe and sound. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the finished cookies because they're all gone!

********************************

And now here are two more winter girls I did yesterday....



I don't know how many more of these I'll make. I have so much fun with them but I should be making something else or I'll be overloaded with girls in hats and scarves!

17 comments:

  1. okay first off, i am coming over for cookies and tea, I am a terrible baker. And second god I love those girls. Maybe you could do a swap send a girl, receive a girl. I am sure alot of people would love to have one of your girls, I am in, if you want to swap after christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really great Janet and easy too. Love your Winter Girls. Nicely done. Looks a little windy with the scarfs flying around. Enjoy the Holidays. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies sound amazing, I'm a big fan of pecans so I'll have to try them! I stopped over at your Artopia blog to get a look at more of your winter girls and they are really wonderful! Thanks for playing in Food For Thought Thursdays! I just got up my own post, chocolate chip pancakes today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the cookie recipe, it sounds like a shortbread. nice to see your winter girls too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe sounds delicious!
    I have never sent baking in the mail, hmmm... good idea!
    I love your winter gals!
    Hope you are having a wonderful December
    Hugs and blessings and Merry Christmas!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your little winter girls and the cookies sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really am loving your girls and thanks for the cookie recipe ... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. shawn1:58 PM

    The cookies sound yummy and the winter girls are sooo cute! You always are inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, if that's what's going on in your kitchen then stick the kettle on love, I'll be right over! They sound delish!

    You are really on a roll with those girls- they're very sweet. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookie recipe sounds fantastic! I am so bummed this time of year now that I know my younger daughter has a nut allergy...really puts a crimp in my holiday baking plans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the paintings of your girl, she is adorable. I would love to make cards out of her one day. But I will leave that to you. She moves!!!!And those cookies sound so good, I would love to bring the tea and we could eat them together. But until then, just enjoy!!!! Love, mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to pass the cookie recipe
    on to Laura, she sends cookies in the mail every Christmas. The girls look like fun to make, how about a banner to decorate your studio wall for the winter, or attached to garland????

    ReplyDelete
  13. A couple of things -- first, how much do your winter girls sell for -- they are adorable! And thanks for the recipe. I've been woefully absent from reading anything. Now I discover a great recipe, too! Let me know on the 5x5s!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed out loud! The recipe sounds awesome! And your girls are so darling! We have these starbucks vias (instant Coffee) and I wanted to try baking with them!! This might work!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fantastic recipe! Thanks for sharing it. Love the winter girls too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. those cookies sound delicious. shame we couldn't swap some shortbread for mocha nut cookies but I dont think they would survive the big trip over here.
    gorgeous hat and scarf girls Janet. I love those quirky hats
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Winter Girl LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!