Friday, December 16, 2011

Handmade....Almost

 Lee and I decided to do a Christmas card swap. She got hers mailed to me promptly and on time. This is the gorgeous card she sent to me....

It has layers of collage, sparkly jewels and beautiful colors. The tree trunks are made from bits of lace! I love it. Thank you, Lee, for suggesting a card swap. I always love getting a piece of your art.

My card, however, was late getting mailed and then it took forever to arrive at its destination! My first idea for the card just wouldn't work out and I must have ruined three or four cards. Then I saw something I had gotten as an advertisement with a magazine and the light bulb went on! I saw what I wanted to make and even though I knew it would be late arriving I began. The card finally made it to Lee so now I can share with you what I did. It's made from junk mail!

Here is the card I sent to her....




What do you mean, it doesn't look like a Christmas card!! 
That's only how it began life but this is how it ended up....




You can't see it in the photos 
but the little square in the center among the stars says "Merry Christmas" 

I used some hand painted papers and some scrapbooking papers to cover all that black, and washi tape to cover the edges of everything. All those little emblems and tiny bottles of Chanel that were hanging on the strings got covered with gold stars. And then it was ready to mail. Since it was so large I didn't have an envelope for it so it just went in a priority mail envelope.

You can make cards from just about anything....even junk mail! Lee, I hope you don't mind that your card had another life before it became your Christmas card.

23 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful card that arrived to you and beautiful what you sent too. I haven't been doing much art lately but my fingers are itching now.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so beautiful Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Why waste those adverts, they are so wonderfully constructed. Great job of transforming. I love those gold stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Janet I knew you were talented but this card is just about the most amazing thing that I have seen for ages.
    Clever you for thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzer! That's an impressive card you put together, Janet...very fancy! Lee's card is so pretty...what a wonderful holiday exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that Chanel ad...saved it..thought it was magnificent...I LOVE the idea of transforming it..GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great job reusing the advert. I bet Lee was thrilled! And the card you received was gorgeous too - love the lace tree trunks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm going to think twice before i through out stuff. amazing how you transformed the card. love the little stars on the middle page. awesome. great job. lee was a lucky lady to receive this card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet...Lee's card she sent you is great...mine had layers too. They just don't show up very well in the photos. The card you made for her is wonderful too...that was a great way to reuse a piece of junk mail...love it! I bet the cookies in the post below are yummy! Anything with pecans would surely have to be good! HA!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this whole concept Janet! recycling :) wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the card you received in your Christmas card swap. And the card you made is stunning. Dot xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the card you received in your Christmas card swap. And the card you made is stunning. Dot xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic cards Janet (both yours and Lee's). And what a fantastic idea to do a Christmas card swap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a transformation! You clever, clever thing, Janet...your card turned out BEAUTIFUL and very creative! Lee did a fabulous job on her card too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful both of them Janet. Love watching your creative process.
    It would be fun to do a junk mail art swap.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous cards from both you and Lee. I love seeing all the fun stuff you have been doing,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a superb job Janet, and your card from Lee is very original too, well done ladies!
    I hope you and HB have a good Christmas, love and hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful. I am inspired! Feel like making some cards right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a beautiful card Janet, I love the gold stars. Hope you have a very Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. how creative you are Janet. I just love the idea of that card and I love Lee's card to you too.
    I am really late in sending my cards. They went of this morning.
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. All I can say to this is "WOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is AWESOME!!!
    yay for possibilities
    yay for junk
    and absolutely for what can be transformed and reuse ;-)
    hugs to you
    finally i am on vacation too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so incredibly cool. I LOVE IT. That ad was pretty awesome too, must be nice to have inspiring junk mail! But then, I think, you are so inspiring that you could do magic with anything!

    Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!