Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Couple of Not-Quite-Right Paintings...

Recently I've been trying to loosen up when I paint faces...but it isn't working. Mystele (see Little Glimpses on my sideboard) has an excellent video in the community hub and I've watched it about a million times and even painted with it by stopping and starting the video. I just can't seem to get it.

Here's one of the pictures I was working on...


Her face is flat, flat, flat! I guess I just need more practice.

And here's another not-so-good piece I did using the tissue paper technique that I wrote about in a previous post...


I drew her from a magazine picture and her head was tilted back. In my version she looks like she's smelling a fart!

Oh, well, it's Saturday and I have plenty of time to paint so it's back to the drawing board, or in this case the worktable.

12 comments:

  1. She doesnt look so flat to me! But you're right - practice practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! I agree practice is what we all need, but your faces look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cracking up over here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Offering a diff perspective...Do you really like the "lines beside the nose" look? Try eliminating the vertical lines from the eyes to the nostrils and see what you think of the results. Lemme know how it goes for you.
    Love & Laughter,
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're off to a great start with these, actually! Any new way of doing things can take time to adjust to, so maybe you'll feel more comfortable as you do more.

    And if you don't... there's nothing wrong with not relaxing while doing faces. They're tricky things -- I was obsessed with getting them right for a few years before I decided I'd always be a bead gal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what I like best about these efforts, Janet? I like best that you are DOING. You aren't just thinking about doing art. You are DOING. I admire that - a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun and interesting just to be into your creative self and working at it.Your art is lovely.Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet, I hear you about trying to loosen up. If you don't like something just put a little gesso over it and have another go. I like how Katie Kendrick taught those non-dom hand, really loose drawings...maybe, that dvd would help you. I hope you had a productive Sat.(I'm writing this about 7 o'clock my time).
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like tissue paper girl! Practice, practice practice... the story of my life! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I'd QUITE put it like she's smelling a fart, but I love that you saw that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I like your comments on the paintings. I am sure I could paint as well as you have.

    Thank you for your nice comments on my blog.
    Pirk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now this just made me laugh coffee right out my nose!

    Keep going woman - keep going!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!