Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Teaching An Old Dog New Tricks...

photo from Google Images

I've put it off for as long as I can! I have PaintShopPro9 and Photo Elements plus a Bamboo tablet and can't use any of them because I don't understand them. So I have to get serious about learning to use these programs. And I also need to learn how to take videos and get them into a manageable size to use online or to burn to DVDs. I have Windows MovieMaker so that's another program I'll be learning to use.

All of these programs are like gobble-dee-gook to me! I don't understand any of them. I have Dummies books for some of them but even they don't make sense to me. It's like trying to read Greek. I wish they came with a dictionary of all the terms they use.

So in order to make sense of it all, I've decided to completely immerse myself in these programs over the next month or so (however long it takes me to "get" it) and that means not so much art. After all these years, I'm going back to school in a way. I plan to read the books cover to cover and try all the things so I can finally make headers, manipulate my art, and do all the fun things everyone else seems to be doing.

I'll probably only be posting to my blog once a week. If I've made any progress I'll share that with you and maybe even ask a few questions that hopefully someone will be able to answer.

You may not see me around quite so much but I'll try to check in with all of you when I can. And I'll always read and answer emails. If anyone has any tips on easy ways to learn these programs I'd love to hear them. (I already know about YouTube video tutorials but many times they aren't all that helpful. If the tutorial is not using the same version of everything that I have then it doesn't help.) Just remember that I know absolutely nothing about these programs. I'm at the stage where I can open the program and that's about all. Anything from there is a mystery to me! I definitely qualify as a dummy in these areas.

Wish me luck and I hope to have lots of surprises for you when I come back. One of which will be a new blog where I'm going to be selling prints of my art plus some of the originals, too.

I hope you won't give up on me while I'm learning these new things.
*************************************
NOTE: I've already run into a problem!! Apparently PaintShopPro 9 doesn't play nicely with Windows 7!!!