Followers

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Everything Old is New Again...

So many of you have commented about the new studio...thank you. I thought I would give you a little background into what we did because this is a studio done on a very small budget. Very little of it is actually new.

Way back when I had an online book business, HB designed and built a wonderful desk area for both of us. This is what it looked like...we sat facing each other but had a small partition between us.

Above was my side...here you can clearly see that the old desk top has now become my new studio work table and the shelf above the old desk is now the hanging shelf above my studio work space. Much of the remainder of this old system was used to make additional shelves in the studio.

And this was HB's side...that's one of the bookcases I re-purposed, too. The other two were also in my old studio...all leftovers from my book business (and all bought used.)


In the photo above you can see in the background the old cabinet that was in the garage when we moved here. It was not in good shape but I brought it into the office and used it as a packaging area for books. Now it has been reinforced, the doors removed and I painted it black with white inside....here's proof!


It's now the base for my work table.

If you remember, I was lucky to find all the paint for only $5.00 a gallon...the dark charcoal, the lovely turquoise for the walls, and the raspberry color for some pops here and there. Each gallon was only $5.00 because it was paint that had been incorrectly mixed for someone. I did have to buy one more gallon of the dark color plus a gallon of Kilz primer at regular prices. We re-used all the shelving that was in my old studio. I still have the shelf up high that goes around the room.

The light fixture over my work area is new, and I bought new handles for the cabinet drawers. Oh, and I almost forgot...I bought 4 rolls of metallic wrapping paper at the Dollar Store to use on the bookcases.  I think that was the extent of my new purchases for the studio. 

Not bad for a recycled studio! And it helps to have a hubby who is very handy...and no, you can't borrow him!!

11 comments:

  1. HB and Arney have this in common. They are both what I call handy men. Wow! what a change and most with what was already there. Love your new studio!!!!
    Arney and my son in law Doug are now mudding the dry wall. When that is all done we can paint. Arney is putting in victoria style baseboards. They go higher on the wall than your regular baseboards, we think it will be a nice look for the room. Can you believe it is September, boy...where did summer go? How are you feeling. Your leg looks so painful too. Been there do this and don't do it again!!! I love you, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Janet...I really enjoyed looking at all the hard work you did. I went all the way back to when you first started...such a wonderful job. It is an amazing transformation.

    I hope your little nose is all better now and that you were able to get new glasses. It had to drive you nuts to see a little floater everywhere you look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved hearing about how your new studio came together from recycled furniture. It makes it all the more special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will know where to find you this Winter! It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Can't wait to see what you produce from your new space!
    ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm grateful to have one in my house too!! Those HB's you never let go of!!lol So glad you managed to do it on a really tight budget, that makes it all worthwhile...however one can't underestimate the amount of bull work this required.Don't forget to tally what you'd pay yourself and HB per hour!! It all adds up!! A job well done!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spoilt sport Janet for not sharing HB.Not that I need him though because I have my own HB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new studio looks awesome, and sweet deal on the paint! Thanks for stopping by the blog - your comments are always appreciated - so much - and I'm glad you enjoyed your blogging break - especially for such a fab project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Janet and in low costs too.
    I had to smile of you not willing to lend HB to others. I get that same question all the time, so it was familiar to me. I'm sure your art-spirit will have good times in your new studio. Be sure to have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, that's not fair! You can't dangle a handy man in front of our eyes and then not share! Lol.

    Seriously though, you've both done a fantastic job! I am so impressed! You'll be so happy in the new space, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you were able to incorporate so many things you already had into your new work space. It's great to save money, and also to feel like nothing is going to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's fun reading your blog backwards and getting the full story! This is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!