Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Day 6 - Being Creative

Today is just a mish-mash of things. I couldn't seem to settle on doing any one thing. So I just went with whatever popped into my head.

First, this is a piece of brown kraft paper and I'm writing all over it. I plan to tear it up and use it for a Christmas ornament I want to make. The ornament I saw used a Tim Holtz stamp with the words:
...brown paper packages tied up with string
these are a few of my favorite things...
The stamp costs about $8 plus shipping. I thought about it for a minute and then decided I could just use a pen and write the words over and over and come up with something similar to what I'd seen so that's what I started.

Then I had a small piece of card stock with a blue smudge on it.
I drew a face...well, the beginnings of a face.

 Another quick sketch started but not finished. 
Her nose is way too big and needs to be re-done.

 Then I got out my stamp carving tools and started sketching things I might like to carve into stamps.

That's how my day has gone so far. Lots of starts but no finishes.
Jumping from one thing to the next.

********************************************************


Over the past few months I've gotten so many political postcards in the mail. These are just a few of the ones that came in over the past couple of days. I have stacks of them! And sooner or later they will all become artsy postcards. I think these mailings are such a waste of time and money but at least I'll get some good out of them. Some of the postcards are huge and some are even page size so I can cut them into smaller ones. Thanks!! You didn't change my mind or convince me to vote your way but I appreciate the free art supplies!

***************************************************

And one last thing...am I the only one who hates it when you click on something on Pinterest and it just takes you to the entire blog and not to the specific post where the picture was featured? Then I have to spend time searching through page after page to find the article I want. Pinterest can eat up enough time just as it is without having to do additional searching. Okay, enough whining!

Now I'm off to mix up some gelatin so I can try gelatin printing tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. A productive day for you Janet, I have done precisely n.o.t.h.i.n.g!
    It was fun, but tomorrow I will be sorry...lol
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had two PJ days in a row! now that is scary! what a great idea to re use those political postcards! great use for them! I do like the new drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT use on those political postcards! SAVE the trees save the trees! :)

    I have stopped using Pinterest...TOO time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! Can't wait to see the completed projects!!

    Hug Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems you've got alot of things going.Can't wait to see these girls of yours, they're always so inspiring. When it comes to pinterest, I don't spend much time using it. But it's always frustrating to be lead to every spot on the net other than what you wanted to.
    I just want to add, WOW, that President of yours really know how to talk to people. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good starts. I love the brown paper packages quote and what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see how all your projects turn out - I'm paticularly intrigued by carving a face into a stamp - I've never tried that!
    PLUS you genius are you to just write all over the kraft paper yourself - wish I had your handwriting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creativity is exploding - stamps, canvases, drawings, sketches, journal.... and you were wondering if you will ever be inspired again! Love how you decided not to buy the stamp, but recreate the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I wish I hadn't thrown out that stack of political postcards now! I get frustrated with Pinterest too...but I love looking at everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your creative talent Ms. Janet. Always coming up with great ideas, i.e. those political mailings. Me too on... blech... Pinterest. I'm too antsy to fool with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet...great use of those cardstock mailings...mine are in the recycling bin.
    I haven't had the problem with Pinterest that you mentioned....I don't "pin" anything unless it takes me to the page, or better yet, to the originalsource.
    I'll email you my pinterest link...I didn't know you were on it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you are doing "something"
    not so much here...I made a hudge mess in my work area and then got busy doing other things and there it sits and I can not get back into it. You got my interest when you said you were making an ornament, we are suppose to do that for a gift exchange with the ladies groupe at church but my mind is blank, what else is new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see what your face stamp will look like! I like your idea for writing your own text for making the ornament instead of buying the stamp; you have such lovely handwriting, so that's a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of using your own writing instead of a stamp. I too sometimes get annoyed at Pinterest but most of the time the linking is good. There are a lot of people posting tutorials there now.Some are just the same old stuff but some are new, I get lots of inspiration there but due limit my time or a day can go by. I am anxious to see how your face stamp comes out. I don't think we got hardly any postcards, I must be lucky not to get them. I got lots of email though so I can easily delete them.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!