Sunday, January 06, 2013

Getting Back to Basics...

For the longest time I haven't done any sketching much...other than the recent continuous line drawings. I used to sit with my sketchbook each evening and do something.

Last night I revived that habit and started a sketch using one of my favorite shapes. I call it a pod or a leaf shape. Whatever it is, I love drawing it. This shape and the paisley shape are two of my favorites along with circles.

Here's where I was with it this morning...


  It isn't finished. I added the blue and don't like it. Now I'm trying to decide what other color I could use in the centers of the remaining pods. Any suggestions?? Or do you like the blue?



This is done in my 9 x 12 Canson XL Mix Media sketchbook. I did not do this with pen only. I drew it out first and then added the pen work. I still have some areas that need darkening plus the centers need to be finished. I haven't decided on a background color yet either.

So far today this is the only thing I've worked on. I still have to do my daily journal card and add something to my ongoing painting. I'll show you those things later. For now, I'm just enjoying making this sketch and coloring it in. It's a mostly sunny day here today but it's fairly chilly so I'm staying in and will continue to play with colors.

14 comments:

  1. Janet!! Oh my word, this is gorgeous and striking!
    I'm feeling maybe some purple? - For what it is worth I love the background left white - makes your gorgeous shapes stand out that much more! Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I LOVE the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Janet;
    Happy New Year!
    I love the new doodles and the blue looks really awesome!
    I hope you are keeping well.
    Many hugs and blessings
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful Janet! I'm sure you can use the blue color, but before I even read your post I thought of how amazing it would have been if you'd chosen a petrol blue. As I see the colors they are all toned down with the blue a bit brighter, but then again it might not be so in person.
    I love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the doodles & I really like the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it the way it is Janet and the blue is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, and I love the blue you added.
    Happy New Year to you and many creative moments to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow janet, gobsmackingly WOW~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know that I love this art. The colors are amazing. I hope you are in a good place with your art because it is so beautiful. Thinking of you on this cold winter day. I am glad you like the dresser. Arney will be home soon to see it. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that shape, and personally I like the white, I love drawing the leaf and the flower shape

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear you are back to sketching in the evening. I love your pods and I like the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work so far! I would add pink or purple! Have a great day. Lindsay x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!! I might "borrow" this design for a drawing in my sketchbook...I am really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful, I think when you add a color to the other pods the blue will be fine. It needs some other color to play against. At least that is what I think.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!