Friday, January 04, 2013

It Finally Came to Me...

Picking a word for the year is something I've done several times. Usually I trying to think of a word I think will apply for the year. Last year I picked "focus" and my year was anything but focused! This year I decided to wait until a word came to me...I didn't try to think of any word, I just waited for a word to present itself to me.

This morning it did...I was puttering in the studio and all at once I saw the word right there in front of me in my mind. The word is...


I want this year to be a year of stretching myself with art. I want to try new things, challenge myself, and stretch to reach new heights.

One of the things I've been doing each day since the first is to sketch something on a large size index card. I think of them as journaling cards. I might add them to a journal page at some time...

The two faces are my first attempts at drawing with a continuous line and not lifting my pen from the paper. They are terrible but I figure if I keep going sooner or later they might get better. The one girl looks like she has a cut from her lip and her eyes are evil looking. The other girl looks like her nose is running! Oh well, it's all an experiment and at least I'm playing again.

Another thing I started after seeing Karen's 40 day art experiment late last year, is my own experiment. I'm not sure yet if I'll do 30 or 40 days but here is what I've started so far this year...






Each day I'm adding one thing to this painting. It's done on a large sheet of red rosin paper and the first day was just gesso. The second day I added one color and the third day I added a lighter color. Today I added some stenciled shapes with a light green. I'm not sure what this will turn out to be but I want to see what I can accomplish in 30 or 40 days.

Are you experimenting with art this year? What are your new projects?

9 comments:

  1. So happy to see you back in the studio again!! Stretch is a perfect word for 2013 and I love how you illustrated it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel experimenting is all I do, always wanting to try something new. I have never had a word for the year, because I feel it would hold me back. Sounds fun to make a piece over 30/40 days, but won't it be difficult to do just one thing each day? I always feel I can't stop when I'm working on something. Good way to practice patient by the way.Perhaps I should try it once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Stretch! Go for it! No word for me ... unless they are day by day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your word and the way you wrote it, I like that idea that you are trying like Karen, I to want to do something, but have not come across something yet, but as you say it will come to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet I think this is the absolute perfect word for you! I also think your muse has been wanting this of you and that's why you had the art lull. So you could start in a new direction and expand your horizons fearlessly! I love your new banner so much and see your style is so evident in it!! Enjoy this new path...I see great things for you!!

    Hugs Giggles


    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do like the new banner and I think the word "stretch" is a great word. So sorry the Christmas photos did not turn out well. Maybe you can try again when you all get together before Mitchell has to leave. It will be interesting to see how the new art piece turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stretch is an awesome word for the year! It's something more of us should do, creatively *and* physically.

    This January seems to be a month of creative stretching for me, too. I'm taking my bead-weaving into three dimensions, something I thought I'd never be able to do. :)

    Happy New Year, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new word. It is perfect for you. I have not found my word yet. I keep waiting but nothing so far. I will be patient and wait though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A splendid word and a good one for an artist with so many talents!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!