Monday, January 21, 2013

Trying My Hand...

I seem to be busy all the time lately so I've been focusing on art that I can do in little bits of time. Mostly creating painted papers and such to be used at a later time. This weekend was no exception. Last week I made a gelatin printing plate to try my hand at printing.


Most of the ones I did came out pretty crappy! These are the only ones I thought I might be able to use. The page on the far left side is where I cleaned off my brayer each time. I liked the way it looked so saved it to use.

The print on the lower right is my favorite and also the one right above it. I need to play with the gelatin plate a lot more to see what works and what doesn't...and learn when to use certain colors. I tended to get it backwards and have my darker colors on top rather than the other way around.

 I also started another piece of newspaper. I'll add more to this but this is where it is right now. I like the colors...bright and happy.

Then I figured out a way to hang my newspaper pages to keep them from getting too wrinkled and torn. I just put a couple of push pins in the edge of the shelf and used clips to hold the papers. The clips hang on the push pins and all is good.

Last year I did a couple of abstract pieces that sort of reminded me of maps. Yesterday I made another one...I got the basic part finished but it needs more work...


I've started adding some colored pencil here and there and I'll do more pen work. I find these to be very meditative when I work on them.

It's a new week and I hope to get lots of art done...let's see what happens!

25 comments:

  1. your papers are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gelatin printing is loads of fun, huh?
    LOVE those "map" drawings - so cool - they look as if they were stitched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the gelatin printing and will try it again.

      Delete
  3. wow what a lot of work that turned out great, you must tell us how you did the gelatin printing thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send you an email with some info.

      Delete
  4. I am also playing around with the "gelli" printing. A couple of mine came out nicely and several didn't. I am with you...It takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need LOTS of practice!

      Delete
  5. I like your gelli experiments and yes I agree it takes time to figure out what works...I too love those pages where you clean the roller off, they become fascinating backgrounds for other pieces. Your map work is interesting and I would like to see more. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just getting started on the map so I'll show my progress.

      Delete
  6. I like all of your papers, but especially those with the maps on them, they look like relief maps - like the ones we used to make in geography lessons at school... love yours and can see how they would be so meditative to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can spend a lot of time with the map drawings...I lose track of time.

      Delete
  7. all is alive and well here on your blog....beautiful, cheery colours...vibrant and happy! I miss you Janet.



    ciao bella
    Creative Carmelina
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a huge amount of papers you've made. Really working as a busy bee. I love the "maps" they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your papers are gorgeous - such vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your papers are gorgeous! And you made the gelatin plate? I am amazed at your planning skills (and patience). The maps are really interesting! Love the colors and tiny shapes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised, Zorana...patience is not my strong suit!

      Delete
  11. Those gelatin prints are very cool, I might have to try that technique! Would you share the steps with me? (is it like a collagraph?)

    Your abstract "map" designs are also fun--I used to do that with my art students, and the process is meditative. I occasionally use that technique in my own visual journals for that very reason!

    Best, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool papers/prints, Janet! Looks like you've been having lots of fun. I'm feeling the need to let some paint fly, again...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty papers Janet. I'll be back to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been working on some background pages, too. A good thing to do on a winter afternoon! I love your system for having your papers to dry...perfect! I really enjoy those abstract papers that look like maps. I think that would make a GREAT tutorial for the rest of us! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't thought about that, but yes, if you put the light color last like you would normally it would be upside down. Oh, I don't know much about gel printing but I keep reading tutorials and trying to carve out my piece of sky! These seem very nice to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!