Followers

Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Fun Day of Thrifting...

Don't worry...I haven't forgotten about 29 Faces. I'll post those tomorrow but today I wanted to share with you the goodies I got when my son and I went thrift shopping.

The very first thrift shop we went to had quite a bit of artsy stuff which surprised me. Usually I don't find that around here.


I got a small roll of decorative tape, some unopened coffee cup themed tissue paper, an unopened pad of scrapbook paper and an unopened package of craft board.

The next shop we stopped at didn't have anything so on we went. The third one was a score for me, too.

I found all these canvases...they all have something painted on them but a little gesso and they will be good as new. I also found some books at this shop...

This will make a great art journal. I love the 12" x 12" size of it and the pages are sewn in...score!

These two books have lots of pictures of birds that will come in handy. Some are in color, some in B&W, some actual photos and some are illustrations. I know I'll get a lot of use from these.

And finally I found this cookie sheet/pan that will be good to use when I make a gelatin plate for printing. It's nice and flat, has a good rim, and it's a nice size. All in all I was happy with the days haul.

My son found all kinds of work clothes to take back home with him. He does rough work so he goes through work clothes very fast. We ended by having a nice lunch at a friend's cafe. It was a fun day!

35 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, pleased to see your still having fun with your art. You did do well on your thrifting. I did the other day to. They just seemed to have loads of stuff that I will use. Enjoy yourself. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seemed to be an unusually good selection that day. I normally don't have that much luck!

      Delete
  2. Such a fine day, Janet and best of all, one on one time with your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best part!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you got a lotta stuff, now you got the bug me, I just might go today and see what I can find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go very often but I always enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Great thrifting and fun time with you son ... Bonus! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extra special because of him!

      Delete
  5. Love thrifting and always find treasures too. Great old canvases SCORE! I now use old cookie sheets as a palette for mixing colors when I paint with acryllics. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! I'll have to find another cookie sheet now.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like fun, great finds....glad you enjoyed the time with your son. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Very unusual for around here.

      Delete
  8. wow sounds like a whole of goodies you found... I ve really gotten into thrifting too! I'm loving it too, so many bargains! I love what you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go much more often than I do now. It's fun to find bargains though.

      Delete
  9. Great post!
    I love thrift store finds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too...especially when they're things I can use in the studio!

      Delete
  10. Reusing is a good thing, searching in thriftstores is a fun thing and spending time with ones son is a lovely thing to do. You did it all and, and I'm sure, what you gained are alot more than the visible things. Sounds like you've had an excellent day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent day and one I'll remember.

      Delete
  11. What a great haul you got. You'll be able to do a lot with with all you got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great haul!

      Delete
  12. Ooh, we never have anything so as exciting as the goodies you have found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what made it so much fun...usually we don't have much good stuff in our thrift stores.

      Delete
  13. Awesome finds Janet... I do love thrifting at times... Trying not to buy much so I only go when I'm with someone else or looking for something in particular!! Usually looking for sturdy bustier...to paint for bras for a cause!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go very often but I enjoy it when I do.

      Delete
  14. Holy Smokes...you hit the motherlode! What a bunch of goodies. I'm always on the look-out for cookie sheets too, they make great trays for storing rubberstamps as well as nice little project trays. That will make a really nice size gelatin print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea to use the cookie sheet to store stamps.

      Delete
  15. Awesome finds! Three cheers for you -- I never find supplies when I'm out. Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so rarely happens that I find things like this.

      Delete
  16. i love thirfting too. I noticed your pan for gelatin printing. I thought I would share that the gelatin can stick to rusty parts of the plate and then crack if you are taking it out of the pan. You can line it with a sheet of plastic wrap and just lift it out. I have a couple youtube videos about getting it out of the pan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZX5GM7m5o Have fun printing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I do line the cookie sheet with plastic wrap but only for ease of lifting. I didn't know about the rust so thanks for sharing that. I love your YouTube videos and have watched them several times.

      Delete
  17. Wow, surprisingly arty things at the thrift shops! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!