Followers

Friday, March 08, 2013

A Visit to The Getty Museum...

First of all I'd like to ask if anyone else is having weird problems with Blogger. When I go to my blog the entire middle section where all the posts are written shakes like it's nervous! It moves up and down and frankly makes me nauseous to look at it. I've noticed on other blogs that sometimes different sections are shaking. What is going on! I tried contacting Blogger...what a joke. I hope my blog is not shaking when you visit. I've checked it on both my computers and it shakes but when I used my son's computer and used his login for Google my blog looked fine. Very weird!

*********************************************

I mentioned a couple of days ago that we visited The Getty Museum

(click any photo to view larger)

I had been there many years ago but they did a huge ($275 million) renovation a few years ago and it's fantastic. The weather was not the best that day so many of the outdoor photos are a bit gloomy looking. I want to go back when it's warmer so we can really see the grounds because they're amazing. They have a large underground parking structure and a tram that takes you right up to the museum.

These are the steps leading up to the main entrance as you arrive...

The stone that's on the steps is everywhere outside. There must be thousands and thousands of huge stone tiles used to cover the walkways and outdoor areas.


Many of the buildings are made of the same stone...it's everywhere.

There weren't a lot of flowers blooming yet 
but these were showing their bright colors...bird of paradise.

I'm not sure what kind of trees these are but they look interesting.
This was a small food court area.

I'm sure this looks pretty in summer with the vines...
but that day the vines were bare and not green.

Inside the main entrance...more stone and huge overhead windows.
Light was streaming in from everywhere.

This is a scale model of the entire complex...

And this is the first piece of art you see inside.

As you leave the main entrance building
there is a huge open courtyard.

There are fountains...
and little seating areas scattered all around.
Unfortunately it was very windy and chilly
when we were there.

If you get the chance and like museums I'd say this would be one to visit. I have a few photos from inside the museum that I'll share another day. I didn't take too many. They are fairly strict about photos and in fact, I took one photo that was in an area where they weren't allowed! I was reprimanded!! Also some of the photos didn't come out due to the dim lighting they use for some of the displays...mostly to help preserve them. 

And finally...here's a photo of me and HB



That's all for now............

11 comments:

  1. Janet....looks like you had a great day!!!The museum looks fantastic. At least they didn't grab your camera..lol...the photos are great. I like seeing your family...you are much braver than me! Have a good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an amazing place to visit, Janet, and it is SO fun to see pictures of your family there! (By the way, your blog isn't shaking!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I wish I could see that, it looks amazing, and what a nice picture of your family and you. and I dont see your blog shaking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks normal on your blog from here. It has been about 10 years since I've been to the Getty, it was awesome then. Hope to go again one of these times. I usually try to sneak a few photos at those places, and get reprimanded as well!
    Nice photos of you and the family. Love your clogs! What a nice day that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is your family!!! Love the smiles! I will put it on my list of places to visit... and will actually take a look right now to see how far is it. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT POST!
    and the sweet photos with your family...
    Thanks for sharing, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a great place, and your family looks great too. And I must say you look great in red and black as well. I'm sure you all had a beautiful day.
    I've noticed the tabs on my computer are moving a bit, but I thought it was something I did when changing things. I didn't notice it until the last change on my header. Could it have something to do with the size of the header photo? Both you and I have a photo larger than the original setup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun day out! The Getty's looks like a great place to visit...and I loved seeing pics of you and your family.

    (blog seems fine from here)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to see you, HB and your kids. I've been to the Getty twice ... the first time before it was opened to the public and the second several years ago while in California for a baseball game! Always fun. I was surprised that you said they had a makeover! Wow! Must be nice to have the $$$$$! Think they would share???!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG you look so adorable you and DH...wow awesome...and your kids...love it!! Your daughter has dreads? Love them...she is also an artist I imagine!!?? Thanks for sharing your wonderful family! It was thrilling for me!!

    Yes Blogger is a beeotch ....last week my daughter couldn't see the pictures on my blog from her phone, then this week I typed properly in lower case but they all came out capitals and I look like I'm yelling at everyone! Your blog looks perfect on my end!!

    I will warn you though there are a lot of yahoo email addresses that have been hacked and I keep getting attachments from people ...(DON'T OPEN THEM.)...that they never actually sent!! So maybe your computer has a virus. I also think blogger is probably trying to upgrade for the volume of phones that are now online...both android and iphones! Not sure but something is going on! Also it is retrograde...so you know what that means....I already had a tire replaced that had a nail right through the white wall!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I love all the photos of the museum but the ones I love most are of you and your family! I've had more than my share of issues with blogger -- and yes, contacting them is pointless. Not that one, though. Maybe it's Mercury retrograde. True or not, it's nice to have something to blame it on. I really want to mess with my template but I'm too scared! I just don't trust the program. The getty looks fab -- what a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!