Followers

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Trying Something New...

Just so you know, after I did that journal spread from the previous post (the gray one) I felt a lot better. I usually don't get depressed or sad so when it happens it's something I notice immediately. I'm back on track again and feel good.
*************************************************
Here's some of the art I've been doing...first off I did two spreads in Andria's journal for the round robin...


and here is the second one...


The one above is similar to this (below) journal card I did for Lee for her birthday...


***************************************
I signed up for Misty Mawn's Face to Face class. One of the things she does is draw with charcoal. I have never used it very much so these are really rough!

This was my first attempt. I used a big pad of paper on an easel which I'm not used to...drawing from that angle was not comfortable for me.

Here is my second attempt...a little better.
I don't like her mouth and chin but there again
I was drawing from a different angle
than I'm used to.

I have a small tabletop easel I used for drawing. 
I have another big easel but it doesn't fit in the studio!

I don't like the shading on the right side of her face.
I don't have a kneaded eraser right now...
would you believe Michael's, Joann's and Wal-Mart
did not have any kneaded erasers!

I will keep practicing and maybe one of these days I'll get a good charcoal drawing. Until then I'm happy with these beginning sketches.

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful journal spreads, and that red card for Lee is stunning. I've tried charcoal a few times and have decide it's not my medium.
    Yours looks good though, and would be Perfect for playing in picasa. Keep on trying and you'll handle it like pen and brushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laila...I'm not sure charcoal is for me either but I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Just so you know, you ARE allowed to be sad or depressed for however long it takes. Just so you know!

    These are great. I've heard about Misty's class -- your faces are very compelling and different in style for you. I like them very much. Charcoal is tricky and I've never been terribly successful so I admire your perseverance.

    You may have to try Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama or Cheap Joe's for an eraser unless you have a good art store close at hand. They're tough to find here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I'll probably have to order the eraser.

      I'm enjoying Misty's class and learning a lot.

      Delete
  3. I like your journal spreads, the one that feels like communication to me is so perfect for friends......and good for you, charcoal and faces, wow...keep at it and keep us up to date so we can see your progress! Most of all enjoy it. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share my progress even when it's bad!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!!!!!! inspirational! :D I haven't picke up my pencils or any art medium lately. the baby sure keeps me so busy!!! :D But at least I get to visit your lovely blog and feel inspired! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies have a way of taking up lots of time but enjoy it while you can.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful resilience! Glad you picked up your spirits..this is such a fun new direction. Very vibrant lovely pages!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I never stay "down" very long and it doesn't happen very often.

      Delete
  6. Janet...'Love the profile in black on red!
    It's bold and I love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet....I knew you'd bounce back. You've been busy too. Love the journal pages you made for Andria's journal....I have one of yours finished and need to get the second one finished today. Charcoal is tricky to work with but looks like you are getting the hang of it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sent off Andria's journal yesterday.

      Charcoal is very tricky! I'm enjoying playing with it though.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are feeling much more better now. I enjoy working with charcoal myself, I love at how it is so easily to blend with, but what I don't like about it tends to be a bit messy on bare fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I had it all over me when I got done.

      Delete
  9. Janet,

    There is nothing wrong with your charcoal drawings, I think they are great. Using charcoal is an exercise in getting looser and freeer in your drawings. Like anything it takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting looser and freer is what I'm trying to do. I hope the charcoal helps.

      Delete
  10. Your charcoal drawings are wonderful, Janet. I think when you get to feel comfortable with charcoal, you will like it a lot. If there is somewhere you could take a life drawing class, you would love that also, I can tell. Keep it up, girl, you are good. They sell kneaded erasers at Office Depot, too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judie...we have an Office Depot not too far from here. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  11. I also think these drawings are wonderful, I think your doing a great job in the charcoal, I always thought you did wonderful faces, because you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee...if I keep practicing I hope to get better.

      Delete
  12. Love the altered journal spreads. And your faces are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! A peek into my journal out there in the great big world! It is going to be so amazing to have it back to be able to enjoy all the wonderful art in person. Thank you for adding such beautiful spreads.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!