Monday, April 22, 2013

Celebrating Earth Day...

Last week I mentioned that HB and I had gone on a field trip to The Arboretum...I had been there before but it was many years ago. HB had never been. It's a beautiful area to stroll around, take photos, and generally enjoy Mother Nature so I thought it only appropriate to do a post about it today since it's Earth Day.

The Arboretum is located very close to Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia, CA. As you begin walking into the park this is the first thing you see...

(click on photos to view larger)

Then as you walk along you come to the actual entrance...

When you step out through the back of the building 
you are surrounded by beautiful plants and walkways...


Everywhere you go there are wild peacocks 
roaming freely about the grounds...

Can you see the one hidden among the trees?

Unfortunately most of them were keeping to the shade.



Because it was the middle of the day the light was very harsh
but you can see how beautiful his tail is.

There are so many different types of plants.
I especially liked this cactus.

This close-up makes me think of Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings.

There were several people with high-powered cameras
taking close-ups of these cactus blossoms.


Everywhere you go there are carpets of flowers, 
grasses, and unusual plants.




And scattered among it all is water in various forms...fountains, ponds, streams, a waterfall and a small lake.

I'll try to show you a bit more of this beautiful park in the next few days. Until then Happy Earth Day!!

12 comments:

  1. You must have had a wonderful day, what a beautiful park. We have arboretums too, but mostly containing bushes. I love all the cactuses growing in the "wild". They are only in containers here, and indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even show many of the amazing areas at the park.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and the peacocks are inspirational!! Happy belated Earth day!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peacocks were so beautiful...and I loved that they were roaming around freely.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that place looks beautiful! What a beautiful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are wonderful! Now I will look forward to a painting of the magnificent peacock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I have that much talent! But I did want some photos so they could inspire me.

      Delete
  5. GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!!!!
    'Enjoyed this post, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue...it's a beautiful place.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed these pictures, what a great place. Ca. has a lot more to offer than Fl. when it comes to things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet...these photos are truly inspiring...all the wonderful color and contrasts...great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!