Followers

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Just Been Busy...

Once again, it's been too long since I've posted anything...but that's because I've been busy! This past week was jam-packed with things we did. I went to a Mother's Day tea at the senior center and won a cute garden stone...


Then HB and I both did the monthly walk sponsored by one of the local medical groups. And of course, I went to the painting group yesterday. Here's a picture from a week ago...not everyone was there yet...

and many of us were up roaming around looking at everyone else's paintings. The instructor is on vacation this month so we're all on our own.

And finally, I've been working on some new Pixie Girls. This drawing took me quite awhile to finish.


I did two girls together...sisters or best friends. I may add some clothes later on but for now I'm ready to work on something else.


And that's just what I did...

She isn't completely finished yet but I'm going to show her anyway.

I like this half-face portion of the painting.

And I like this cropped version so maybe I'll do a little more work on her hair and see what happens. I was experimenting with some paint I got at Lowe's. I bought some small sample jars of paint because I loved the colors. And the sample jars were less expensive than buying tubes of paint at Michael's. When I took a few classes from Gary Reef he used house paint quite often. And if you keep your eye on the rejected paint at Lowe's or Home Depot you could get a gallon for about $5...that's very thrifty!

I'll try not to wait so long between posts next time. Next Tuesday we're taking a field trip to the fashion institute so that will be fun. I'll take lots of photos if it's allowed and I sure hope it is. Until next time... have a great weekend!! 

24 comments:

  1. You are really enjoying the community center -- good for you! Love the garden stone you won and your pixie girls ... always like the pixies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am enjoying the center...lots to do and fun people.

      Delete
  2. Hi Janet...The Mother's Day tea sounds fun...and I like the cute stone you won. I like the two Pixie girls, detail on the hat/hair is amazing. And the leafy swirly hair girl is looking good too! I've heard about painting with house paint but have never a chance to try it. Have a good weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary...you have a good weekend, too.

      Delete
  3. Nice garden stone. Nifty prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just have to find a perfect spot to put it.

      Delete
  4. Wow, it seems you've had some great working time. Your work is lovely, and the brown haired girl is really good I think.That Brown color is so special,or perhaps it's the mix of the two. Eyecandy!
    Enjoy your days too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laila...I re-worked the brown haired girl and will show her tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Wow you are having a full life!! Great fun and wonderful new artwork in the mix...love the patterned hair and your pixies sisters!! Good for you.....ENJOY!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me such a long time to find other creative people in my area but now I know where to look.

      Delete
  6. What a great room for painting! Guess what -- life is about living it! The blogging part comes second -- not that we want to be forgotten, but first, live that wonderful life you are living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a very large room to paint in and there are usually at least 15 people so it gets a little crazy at times but I love it.

      Delete
  7. Cute garden stone, lucky you. The pixie girls are amazing with all that wonderfulness flowing from their heads....xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet!! LOVE that painting of the lady with the vine-y hair - she is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle...I changed her a little so come back tomorrow to see her again.

      Delete
  9. Great post Janet...it's nice to see all you've been up to. Your pixie girl drawings are so detailed...you have great patience. I have thought about getting paint samples too and then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, the paint samples work great for me because I like being able to dip my brush into the paint rather than squeezing it out on a palette.

      Delete
  10. LOVE the post...thanks for sharing.
    SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am enviouis that you are having so much fun! I want to be there too. I really miss the art center where I used to work and play. Your pixie girls are beautiful! When I did stage scenery some years ago, we always used house paint. To me, paint is paint and if it works for you (or me) then we should go for it. I can't say it will last a hundred years, but I'm not one of the "old masters" and I won't be around in a hundred years to care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not an old master either although I think I qualify for the old part!

      Delete
  12. I never thought of looking to the rejected house paint as a source of art supplies...a great idea! How nice to have a regular art group. Really keeps you creating. Not that that's ever been an issue for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the painting group keeps me inspired. I like being around other creative people...just like with blogging.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!