Sunday, June 02, 2013

It's Fire Season Again...

In most of the country it's summer but here in southern California it's called fire season. It has been very dry (humidity levels only in single digits at times) and hot with temperatures hovering around or near the 100ºF mark. Right now there is a big fire burning just to the south and west of where we live. It's about 20 to 25 miles from us. Saturday morning it had burned about 3,600 acres. As of this morning it's now consumed 19,500 acres and is moving our way. We aren't in danger but we can smell the smoke. All night I could smell it and this morning the smell is still there in the air.

Last evening I snapped a few photos from the sidewalk...




That's all smoke...not clouds.

Today I'll continue working on my latest Pixie Girl. I think I need a new name for this series. The first one looked like a pixie but the others not so much. I think they need a name that's a bit more exotic and bohemian. Any suggestions?

14 comments:

  1. We heard of the burning in the news and I thought of you, good to know you're not in danger but it sounds scary, as do all the tornadoes. America is a special continent in so many ways I've heard.
    I'll email you later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do have some extreme weather here in the US. I hope when you visit you don't experience any of the bad stuff.

      Delete
  2. Whenever we see news of fires in CA, I think of you. That is scarily close. Let's hope you get some rain soon, to help the situation. It has finally gotten hot here, but very humid, I wish we had your low levels.
    As for your gorgeous girls, how about Gypsy Sisters?
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit close but so far nothing to cause us alarm. Rain in the high desert at this time of year would be very unusual.

      I love your suggestion about my girls!!

      Delete
  3. I wish I could send you some WA rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, fires like that are unnerving and the smoke is so hard to breath. I am glad you are not in harms way.

    i was looking at your pixie gals below, they are wonderful and overflow with charm. so wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate the thought of fires,

    boho chicks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, scary....fires somewhere else I heard too! Hope it doesn't get too close. Fab photos though. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fire season is no fun. I hope you and all yours stay safe.

    "Ragazze Boheme" "Bohemian girls" but it sounds more exotic in italian :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for my long absence, I'm glad to be back! I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been on my mind, fire is a awful thing and I know how fast it can be in your own back yard so to speak. My parents lived just up the hill from Phelan, they seemed to always have things ready to leave because of fire. Your pictures are beautiful, to bad it is terrible. Stay safe!!!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's terrible. I heard about the fire on the news but I wasn't sure how it related to people I know. You stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son is working in Redding this summer...he just completed his training as a smoke jumper. We know all about what fire season is and what it means now that he's worked in forest fires for now his fifth year. Hope they don't come close to you ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments...we are okay and the fire is 40% contained now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!