Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Getting Back Into the Studio...

Yesterday was another play date with Juanita and Jeanette. This time I showed them how to do an art journal spread. Neither one of them have ever done art journaling so I started off with something fairly basic. Here's what I did...


Simple blocks of color, some pieces of napkins, stamps, some magazine strip borders, and a few dots and that's it. We had fun and it was a beautiful day...we even had a bite to eat out on the patio.

I've also started a couple more of my Bohemian Girls. I hope you can see this first one. I've just lightly sketched in the beginning of her...


The second one is a bit farther along...


And as you can see, I'm doing a full-length girl this time.

These are just in the beginning stages but I hope to work on them more this week. I will most likely take them to work on during the painting group. They know by now that I sketch more than I paint when I'm there. It's so much easier to just grab a sketchbook and some pens and pencils than it is to bring all my paints, brushes, etc. 

I don't think I'd ever do good at plein air painting because I don't like anyone watching me while I paint. I don't mind when I'm sketching. Is that weird? I think it might be because I'm much more comfortable and confident about sketching than I am about painting. 

I hope you've been having some fun.

16 comments:

  1. Both your sketches looks interesting, and I'm sure they will be special when done.
    No, absolutely not weird, one have to concentrate while painting and that is not easy with alot of people around. With a sketch one can always use the rubber if anything go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh everything looks and sounds good! Maybe you could teach a little art journal class as the seniors center...they may like it!! Glad you made a few arty friends! Sounds like just what you needed at this juncture!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your page. Its so cool that you have art friends now. Giggles is right an Art journaling course might just be what you would like to teach.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is very cool that you have art friends, I wish I could find some where I live. Love your girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are back in the studio -- but then, I figured you would be! I liked your team creating. That's fun to create with friends. -- And I agree with Kate about your teaching art journaling -- I think you'd be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your drawings. Know what you mean about having others watch while you paint. I like solitude. Just paint outside in your own yard! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun...yes! Get an art journaling group going. Maybe start off with composition books and glue...glue...glue. That's how I got started...gluing is still my favorite thing to do. Good to see you back in the studio. I'm liking where you are going with the new boho girls!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you blocked out that journal spread, Janet. So fun to go back and fill it all in when the time is right. That's a great approach to trying art journaling for the first time (as well as a neat alternative for someone who's been doing it for awhile!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having never really got to grips with journal spread pages, after seeing your post I may just have to have a go. Glad to see you back with your Boho girls, the full length one is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! All of it. How wonderful to share your passion and teach your friends. They are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see teaching an art journaling class in your near future.. the ladies at the Senior Center would love it so much, I'm certain!

    Your BoHo girls are looking fine, love the attitude I see forming on that first one. Can't wait to see them as they progress.

    Janet, could you shoot me an e-mail, please? I sent you one a couple of weeks ago, it may have ended up in your spam folder, as I know you are always so good about answering e-m's. (barbdwhyr@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Along with all your art talent, you maybe a teacher. To share your gifts can be the best gift of all. These ladies may have been waiting for someone such as you to brighten their days.....just a thought. Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. So wonderful that you continue making art in company! There are so many things you can show them, lucky girls! Interesting observation about people watching you sketch or paint. Never thought of it before, but it makes sense (btw - I can't sketch when someone is around, but don't mind holding a brush).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janet, you are so good that you should have a class at the senior center and teach art journaling. Your round robin journal is awesome. I have never done one either. Maybe one day. Looking forward to seeing your new boho girls. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love everything you are doing. I always do. You rock Janet.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it fun to know that as we get older, we, too, can have play dates!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you! I think your ladies are fab.

    ox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!