Saturday, January 04, 2014

Getting Back to My Schedule...

Yesterday was the first day back to the center and the painting group after the holidays. While we were on break I had a difficult time remembering whether it was Monday or Friday or what because I wasn't keeping to my usual schedule. It feels good to be back on track again.

I dabbled with some watercolors during the class. I have several line drawings that I'd like to add color to but markers and me just don't do good together, and I can't get the detail I want using acrylics. The drawings are done mostly on Bristol so I decided to try watercolors using just a light amount of water. It didn't do too bad. I'll share when I get more color on it.

I'm also trying to get back into the habit of doing a journal page every day. One of the women in my journaling class had given me a page from a magazine several weeks ago. It had lots of brightly colored pill capsules on it. She wanted to know if I could make a journal page with something like that...so I did. I'll take it on Monday and show her what I did...


I hope you can read it. HB was having a difficult time trying to read it last night so I added those pale blue lines to try and guide you through what I wrote.

Nothing spectacular but I just need the practice of doing journal pages again. Plus I think the journal I'm working in is not helping. It's a mixed media journal from Canson. The paper is not very thick and it curls up on the edges when you add anything. You can see in the one photo that I have clips holding the page flat.

But that's just a challenge to overcome! I'll keep trying different things and it will co-operate or else!!

30 comments:

  1. Sometimes bigger things come from the playing with supplies!
    We learn as an artist...just experimenting : )
    I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes, janet, on pursuing your daily challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the paper quality does make a big difference. since i use a pen mostly i really notice the texture of the paper. something i would never had noticed before.

    i like how you used the little colored pills to write around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper quality is huge! And this book wouldn't stand up to "mixed media" as it advertises.

      Delete
  4. welcome back! love all the color on the journal page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, colorful journal. Very clever use of the colored pills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan...color is one of my favorite things.

      Delete
  6. I can read and I like what you have done with it. I have that same mixed media book from Canson, and hated the paper, the way it took paint, and I wrote them an email, telling them so......didn't hear back (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful I can read it perfectly!! Wonderful philosophy, wonderful page!! Good job!
    I was lost during the holidays as far as routine goes too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad youre back and I'm the same with the routine, last week I got mixed up with what day it was too! Now its back to the familiar routine! yay! I like what youve done with the journal page too, and can read what you wrote, and agree with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to do better when I have a routine. I guess that's boring but that's how I do best.

      Delete
  9. That's an awesome journal page, Janet -- looks like the story of my life. And I can read it very clearly. Love the colors and lettering. I think finding the right journal is important so you can do what YOU want to do and not what IT allows...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, Jeanie...I think this journal might have to become a glue book. I'll mostly use it for paper collages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your page, Janet - the colors, the sentiment and your font!! I HATE that Canson paper too - way too flimsy for mixed media. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this page - the colours & the sentiments! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  13. Hey...another great page! Getting back into a routine is great (for me anyway). I like the Bristol Vellum I got at Dick Blick. Check out the link on my blog. Not that many sheets in one pad but the price is right. Have a productive week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary...I'll check it out. I'm just about due for another Dick Blick order.

      Delete
  14. Love that you're getting back into a routine. The holiday season really throws me to, I don't know if I'm coming or going most days. Love the colourful journal page

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! I love this page. I think the wording is a little hard to read at first, but if you aren't overthinking it, the brain puts it together for you... I actually really like that about the page. It feels a bit more creative. It invites you to engage with it longer than just a quick glimpse. It draws you in. So it feels more like a beneficial addition to the page than not. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spammers...you can keep putting these comments on and I continue to delete them. Don't you have something positive to do with your time????

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!