Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Hello 2014...

I'm beginning the New Year with lots of goals...no resolutions, and no word of the year. I've set myself some goals that I want to achieve and I'm sticking with that. There are so many distractions throughout the year so I hope I can keep my focus and follow through.

With that said, I'll give you a quickie update on my holidays. I visited Santa...

and for some reason (lighting, I suppose) my hair looks blonde! 
Believe me, it's still gray!
The guy playing Santa is from our painting group...he and his wife do this every year
...this was at the Christmas party.

Santa was good to me this year but he usually is because I'm such a good girl.
Did I hear snickering out there??!!
I can be good...sometimes.

I was a busy bee right before Christmas because I made almost all the gifts I gave my daughter...that's how she likes it. First off she requested a painting with houses and a tree...


I was inspired by Jodi Ohl on this painting. It's 16" x 20" and has the colors my daughter requested.
Then I saw some canvas messenger bags at Joann's and thought they would be great for shopping...



The colors are more vibrant than they show. I had a lot of fun making these...and I'm going to do more and see if I can sell them.

I also re-did an old cigar box I've had for ages. It had a different shape then the normal boxes and was made of wood...says it is from Honduras. I collaged and painted it...


From this angle it looks a bit ragged along that one top edge but since the lid slides into grooves, I couldn't paint them. When you look straight on it doesn't show as much. I put an "M" on the front for her name...


and used Tim Holtz papers for most of it. A round wood ball on top serves as a handle to pull the sliding lid. I left the inside wood because it was so beautiful. I think my daughter liked everything I made...and most especially her box of favorite cookies.

That catches you up on a few things I've been doing. Oh, and I also made so many of these...




little 4" x 4" and 5" x 5" canvases. I took a bunch to the salon and sold them all. I also made these for all the women in the front office at Legacy Commons. You may not be able to see it...I printed out "Frosty the Snowman" song lyrics to use as the body of the snowman. Easy peasy and cute!

Now I'm off to watch the Rose Parade. One of my best friends has a grand daughter marching in a band today. They are from Alabama. I hope to meet up with my friend later while she's still here in California.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!



13 comments:

  1. Love, love, love those musical snowment and those bags are the best! Did you use acrylic or fabric paint on them? I'm very curious! I've been doing lots with 4x4 and 5x5 and just love working in that size! It's so good to see a post from you -- I hope to see more in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great makes Janet. Happy New Year, hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Janet!! You came back with a bang....I'm thinking a computer must have been the good girl thing you got!! lol Your gifts are amazing and I love the houses and a tree....adorable....the bags are awesome and so is the box...wow impressive... Even though you don't do a word...I think it might be my last years word....focus...it's an awesome word and worked for me!! I just need to enhance that this year!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see you! Happy New Year. I love printing out song lyrics and using them in collage ... one of mine has a robin and the words to "when the red red robin comes bob bob bobing along" ... wow ... talk about aging my self ... but so much fun! Love all your art and the wonderful snowmen.

    Hugs---

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed you Janet. Sending good wishes to you and yours for a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Janet! My you have been busy making such lovely things. Love your daughters painting and those bags are just so lovely and fun. Your canvases are so cute and am not suprised they sold. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking about you the past couple of days and going to send you a New Years e-mail, and here you are, making a post. Great to see you...glad you had a good Christmas. You have gotten lots done. Really like those bags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeaaa! I have missed you girlie. You have been busy and your art is awesome, especially the painting of the houses and tree. I watched the parade also (on tv of course) and I saw that Alabama band. I have always wanted to go in person to see that parade. Even more, I would have loved (when I was younger) to be one of the volunteers that puts together those awesome floats. Oh happy day, Janet is back!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I to have missed you, loved the art you have been doing, and making a little extra dough on the side doesn't hurt either. When I looked at the picture I though wow her hair is blond, you would look good blonde. Is your son, there as well, how long is he staying, are you still teaching painting , lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet, it's been such a long time and it's great to see you. The art you made for Christmas looks wonderful...I love the whimsical and colorful 16 x 20 you made for your daughter especially.

    I wish you a happy New Year and look forward to following your creativity in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of fun makes Janet! Love them all. The musical snowmen are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Janet! So nice to hear from you! Wow, you have some really wonderful projects here. I can see why your sweet snowman sold out...they are adorable! And your tote bags will do very well... they look great! Looking good with Santa! Wishing you all the best for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh - those bags are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!