Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Bit of Art...a Bit of Knitting...

HB and I have been doing our fall house cleaning so things have been topsy-turvy around here. We're almost finished, and it's a good thing because we're having Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Two women from my art journal class will be coming...one is single and the other is married and her grown son and husband will be joining us, too. Hopefully my daughter will be able to be here but her work schedule might upset the apple cart. We're keeping our fingers crossed that she will not have to work on Thanksgiving.

The art situation has been glum but this morning I managed to do a little bit. I have had a couple of sheets of scrapbook paper with images from cities...one from Russia that looks like this...


and another one from England. Unfortunately I didn't think to snap a pic of it before I worked with it.


I used neocolor II's for the face and a water soluble ballpoint pen with water for the outlines.


I like how she turned out. I'm calling it Dreaming of Home...much of my family comes from England.

*******************************************

I think I've mentioned that I'm going to a beginner's knitting class at Legacy Commons. The woman who teaches it is fantastic...very patient and kind. I've had knitting lessons before but I never made anything more than a scarf and I never followed a pattern...until now! Here is my first ever project following a pattern...


I made slippers! I haven't put the cord through the holes yet, and I'm also going to add a pom-pom to the toe. I know they aren't perfect but I'm so excited to have made them and most of it was done at home after Denise (the instructor) got me started. I just used some left-over yarn I had but I think they look pretty good.

That gave me the confidence to start something else on my own. I made a dishcloth. I know that might not seem like much to anyone who knits but for me it was my first project started and finished completely on my own using a pattern.


It's a little wonky but for dishes it will be just fine. Now I think I'll try a shawl. I may become a knitter after all. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

14 comments:

  1. Love your slippers! And dishcloths should be wonky! Your girl is grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artwork is great as usual, and wow, slippers! Isn't that just fun? To knit using a pattern isn't as hard as one first think. Congrats on your achievements. Good luck with the Thanksgiving as well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet face and her home inside her. Great slippers. They will keep you toasty. Catching up after being gone two weeks. Never will of course, but popping in to say hi! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty girl paintings, birds, art journals, and knitting! You are a creative through and through! I love the sweet face of your girl dreaming of home and your sweet slippers turned out so great! Cute feet Janet!

    There is a wonderful yarn store here in Wichita called Twist. They teach knitting there. I've been tempted also. I would love to make slippers and scarves.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops. Sorry. Hit the wrong thingy. Love your girls. Don't know how to knit but it's cold here....yes cold in Florida....and I wish I had your slippers! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your girls and your projects l cannot knit but I do buy those wash clothes

    ReplyDelete
  8. REALLY cute slippers! And I love your dishcloth -- in fact, I love all the knit ones I've made. They wash well and look so much prettier! Three cheers on your new knitting endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the knitting!! I love the look but it takes so much longer than crochet that I usually wimp out after a washcloth or two - Can't wait to see you make a shawl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet...looks like you are still very busy with art, knitting and cleaning! I like your Magnolia girl very much from the previous post. Your knitted slippers look so cozy and warm...cold feet are always a problem for me when the temperature drops. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your painting and the sentiment that goes with it. Beautiful .... And your slippers are adorable! As is your dishcloth! I have been meaning to make dishcloths since a long time but somehow other things always get in the way. Feeling inspired again now .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is the time of year that I always get the knitting bug. I like to knit socks, but it requires a lot of concentration. I might need to start knitting dishcloths - something to keep my hands busy, and the satisfaction of making something useful.

    Thanks for my birthday card - it was such a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute slippers. That paper is gorgeous, I like what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to tell you, Janet--that washcloth is exactly the same as the ones my grandmother used to make. Her washcloths are legendary in our family. My mom, sister, and I have hoarded them over the years, keeping some back to be sure that we will have them to use over the years of our lives now that my grandmother is gone. (I guess I could just learn to make them myself...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!