Friday, March 06, 2015

Legacy of Art - Art Show

Last night was the reception for Legacy of Art...the art show at Legacy Commons. Most of the people who participate in the painting group had paintings on display. Some chose not to share their work. We ended up showing two paintings each and they all looked good. The big problem was trying to get photos due to the lighting. It was almost impossible but HB managed to get a couple of me and my paintings plus some other shots.

First of all I want to show you what a beautiful senior center we have. It's bright, airy, clean, and very inviting. It has high ceilings and huge windows on the other side of the area...they let in tons of sunlight.
This is definitely not a dark, dreary, place!


This is a view from the front lobby area down the hall to the back door. That first opening just past the orange wall leads to the lounge area. There are beautiful acid-washed concrete floors everywhere except the lounge...I wish I had floors like that in my house!!


This is the lounge area...the arrow is pointing to the door where I did my art journal class. The door at the right of the photo is the computer room.


The TV in the lounge...and believe it or not, people actually come here to sit and watch TV! The area going to the right past the TV wall leads to tables and chairs and walls of windows, floor to ceiling. It's a popular place to sit and chat, play games, or work jigsaw puzzles.


We also have a lot of books. Anyone at the center can take books from here for free. There are more on the other side of the shelves. I use this area quite a bit. I've found some very good books here. This side is mostly paperbacks with hardcovers on the other sides.


This was one of my favorite paintings on display. And also one that I managed to get a decent photo of despite the overhead lighting. Most of my other photos didn't turn out due to the extreme glare on the paintings. You can see what I mean in the one below, and most were even worse. I wish I could have shown you more of the paintings because there were some good ones.




L-R: Maria, Carolyn, Me, and Juli in front of my paintings. Carolyn is the artist who did the painting in the previous photo. She does some amazing work as do the others. Maria is a fantastic watercolor artist, and Juli is one of the newer members of the group. She's also in the knitting class with me. 


And here I am with my paintings. Everyone loved my top and thought it looked like my art. I wore it with black leggings and black shoes (which were new and killed my feet!)

After the reception, which went from 5:30 - 7:30, HB and I went out for dinner at Applebee's. There were nibbles at the reception but by the time we left we were both starving. We had a nice turnout and I got to see several people that I haven't seen in quite some time. The paintings will be on display until May 29th when they will be replaced with photos taken by the photography group, which includes HB.

8 comments:

  1. fun fun and more fun! looking hot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are lovely as are the ladies and the center!! You look gorgeous as do your paintings!! Thanks for sharing!! That top is so flattering...love it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful Janet. What a beautiful space to go with your beautiful art. Nothing better than making art, sharing that interest with friends, and then displaying it for the world to see. Nice work! I hope you get a few good sales there, or better yet, sell them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I lost my comment. LOL what else is new (for me). Anyway.. as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by the cyber ghost, one can see you are having such a happy time, painting more and socializing with these lovely ladies. I adore your colorful art, but you already know that. One of my most favorite styles of fine art is figurative impressionism, which I am trying so hard to learn, and your friend Carolyn has conquered. I LOVE her painting, and wish I had $$$ so I could buy it. Bet you will all have some nice sales. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great place, lots of nice shots of your art, I loved the top you looked very cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo of you and your art -- and your center is gorgeous! Here's a tip that sometimes helps with glare, depending on where it is coming from. If you can tilt something forward (or possibly stand a bit above it and shoot down) you're likely to get a little bit less glare. Doesn't always work because of the lighting but more often than not, it can help a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The center does look like a beautiful place, what a large amount of reading material. Your paintings look lovely and I really like the top you are wearing. Yes it looks like you might have painted it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great place. How lovely they've made it. Nice work. xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!