Saturday, April 11, 2015

What's Been Keeping Me So Busy...

I have been such a bad blogger this year and up until now I didn't feel as if I wanted to share why, but now I think it's time to 'fess up. (No photos in this post...sorry!)

Back in January when I wasn't feeling too good, I had a phone call from the Palmdale Playhouse. I took this directly from their website: "The mission of the Palmdale Playhouse is to provide a place for the enjoyment of professional and community-based theatre, to offer an opportunity for the citizens of the Greater Antelope Valley to volunteer their time and talents to the arts, and to serve as a learning center for people of all ages and abilities to explore the many crafts that come under the umbrella of theatre."

I guess you could say it's our cultural center. Anyway, they called to ask me if I would like to do an art show of just my work!! I took about 2 seconds and responded with a resounding YES! In my sleep deprived/cold/flu ridden mind I didn't stop to think about what all this entailed. I was told that I would need between 20 and 30 pieces of art. No problem...right???? Yikes! That's a lot of painting.

The opening of the show will be on May 28 and my art will hang in the Playhouse until July 26. To say I'm excited is putting it mildly...but I'm also terrified. What if they don't like my art? What if no one comes to see it? What if I don't have enough paintings ready? What if.....on and on.

I'm making progress but it's been slow. I have never been one to create on demand. I have always said I'd never be good at commission work because I hate to "have to" make something. Same reason I don't usually do good with online challenges. And here I am "having to" make 20 to 30 paintings. Oh, I had a few pieces I already had finished that will be part of the show but for the most part I've been making new stuff.

I've also learned that I don't really like painting! I love mixed media art but I don't enjoy just painting something. I can't tell you how many canvases I've sketched out and then covered up only to sketch something else and then cover it up, too. 

So this is what I've  been doing since the first of the year. Every spare moment I have is spent in the studio with a paintbrush in my hand. I will for sure have 20 pieces but not sure how many more than that I can muster up.

Oh, I forgot to tell you...the name of my show will be "The Color of Happy"...wish me luck!

14 comments:

  1. Good luck, keep working and it will all fall into place. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting for you and scary, too! I'm not sure how easily I could produce 20 - 30 pieces of art on demand either. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't you do mixed media? No one will know..so excited for you! I'm the same as far as any forced art for charity or swaps. Too much pressure. I feel your art was headed this way though! Enjoy the journey! Can't wait to see what transpires! Thanks for popping in to post!
    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I could be there to see your work in person be sure to take plenty of pictures and what an honor you are so talented you will be a smash hit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you Janet, congrats and all the best of luck!!


















    I'm so happy for you Janet, and all the best of luck. No wonder you've been quiet so much of the year. Oh how I wish I could be there celebrating with you. I echo what Lee said, be sure to photograph alot.


    ReplyDelete
  6. OH wow!!!! congratulations Janet, this is wonderful! I'm with Lee.... wishing I could be there to wish you luck in person and be there to see your art in real life! I'm sure you will be a smash hit!!!! lots of photos of the day please!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I was thinking strongly about e-mailing you to ask what you'd been working on, and here you are with a post. Well, first of all, I say to you...chase that self doubt right out of the equation. They saw your art before they asked you to show, so it's a given they already like it, right? Every artist suffers from self doubt from time to time...it will pass.
    I agree with Giggles, do mixed media, it's what makes your paintings special in my opinion. They don't have to be all "just paint". And hey, if you run out of time and still need a few, go take some back from your beauty salon display. HaHa
    I'm so happy for you and so proud to know you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm...what if I gave a party and no one came? Oh Ms. Janet, not to worry. The theater would not have committed to you if they thought you would not bring in patrons and their space would be full. Trust me, having worked at an art center for some long time, I know artists are not just invited "out of the blue". This was a well-thought out invitation with more than one decision maker involved, and they know you have the talent to bring "The Color of Happy" to their walls. Congrats and good luck. Looking forward to pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, if they didn't like your art, they wouldn't have asked you to display it! So let that bad gremlin go and be thrilled without reservation! What a great venue for your work -- I should think it would attract a lot of attention and certainly theatregoers tend to be art fans, too! So quit the worry about if they'll like it and just settle back and get that art ready to be on the walls! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too don't understand why you can't do mixed media. I say do what you love to do. It will show up in the final pieces.You will do it. It will be fabulous.

    Hugs,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet...I didn't know that you had posted. You must really be excited but I do know how it could be stressful. I agree with Kate...do what you love! I'm sure it will all be great!!! Keep us posted on how the show goes...take care!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Janet! This is such an exciting opportunity. I hope the art has been flowing for you. What a wonderful creative experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Janet how very exciting for you. That is a lot of art to get ready but I know you will do it . I wish I was closer so I could come to see all your works of art. Do take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!