Monday, July 27, 2015

You Don't Need a Lot of Money to Create an Art Journal

Today I want to share a few of my older journal pages that were created without having a lot of expensive supplies. When you first get started with an art journal you only need a few things. Some paint or something to add color to a page is foremost in my mind. Here are some examples of things you can use...


The page above was made with security envelopes, bits and scraps of patterned papers and a small amount of paint. If you read yesterday's post you might also notice....dots and circles!! A recurring theme in my art journal.


More circles!! These were cut from a magazine...it was a picture of dinner plates. I just cut away the centers and used them as rings on the page. Also a bit of paint and maybe some patterned paper again along with some doodles.


This one has paint and small strips of color and design cut from magazines. I added some doodles and it's a journal spread. You might notice the date on the side. I did this in 2010...and I still like it.


This one is another of my favorites from that time. The background is watered down paint, the border was cut from magazines, also some of the squares and rectangles are from magazines or from small scraps of patterned papers. I added some doodles and lots of...what else!...DOTS!!!

8 comments:

  1. Great post great pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are stunning pages...thanks for the little tutorial too! I love that I can click on your photos and enlarge them twice!! It's wonderful to see all the details up close!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, I've never done this kind of art....but you are getting me interested. I think I may just give it a try. Thanks for sharing some "how to". Do you start with a regular journal and then use those pages to creative the art?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful art journaling. I use up lots of scraps for my journaling, too. I do my journaling on loose pages and bind them together when I have a theme finished, this way I don't have to buy a journal to start. Now I have lots of colourful journals to different themes. Thanks for your visit on my blog, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, I think it's so important to remind all of us that it isn't the fancy supplies that make the art. Good paint and adhesive, to be sure. But apart from that, a pair of scissors, some papers, pens and a good sense of color and shape. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely pages and such a good reminder that it doesn't take a lot of supplies to be creative. I have a thing for circles and dots, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!