Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Am I Fooling Myself??

Making art. Why do we do it? Is it for pleasure, for recognition, for money? And should we try to follow the pack or strike out on our own?

I've been thinking about all this for quite some time now. I usually create art simply because it's fun and I enjoy it. But lately I've noticed that when I create for my own enjoyment I create the same kind of art over and over. Is this just my style or am I in a rut and getting lazy?

When I first began doing mixed media/art journaling, I wanted to learn everything. It was all exciting and new. But after a while I realized there were some things I didn't enjoy doing and other things I loved to do.  

You may have guessed that collage is at the top of my "enjoy" list. There's nothing I like better than to sit down with a big stack of magazines and start finding collage material. I have tons of it! And I love to create journal pages using it. But am I really creating art or just playing with junk? Am I stretching myself enough?

Here are a few things I've been doing...


Working in black and white for a change.
It isn't finished but I like where it's going.


The quote above and the heart seemed to go together.


I found this quote on Pinterest and loved it.
Somehow the person just seemed to go with it.

As you can see, I'm mostly doing simple collages. Nothing earth-shattering, nothing unusual. Just doing what I enjoy. Is that bad??

11 comments:

  1. If it's making you happy and giving you an outlet for expression then it's all good. The Internet is great, but it makes it all too easy to get sucked into what "everyone" is doing. I'm in a place of trying to resist that and just make what I want to make right now. I love the black and white collage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be doing what makes you happy ... no use to do something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that quote. It's one I should print out and hang big on my wall. And I adore the b/w, which surprises me.

    Make art to make yourself happy. If it's the same, maybe it IS your style -- and is that bad? Feel free to try something new -- we all should, and sometimes we even love it -- but don't hesitate to do the thing you love most. You are not everyone, you are you. And that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your style is your style. If it makes you happy I think that is what you should do. You stepped out and did all those paintings last year, and maybe you just need a break to do stuff only for you for awhile. Don't judge, don't compare, just do. That is advice I am trying to give myself as well. Collage has always been my favorite, and I am happier doing it than anything else I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work, keep at it. You might want to check out my post today, it might give you food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the art, especially the black and white one! It reminds me of crossword puzzles on lamps... maybe something about the light of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...I just love the simple one with all the words...I love the quirky face, the flowers the amazing quote and I love that it is on dictionary pages, since I am a word freak! I love all of these pages, the all blue and the black and white.. I love how you put colour together!!!...you bring joy with your art and words. You are putting your soul out onto the page.... I have the same thoughts as you! I spent a few days doing some digital stuff and thought I am loving doing this so much...." Do what makes you happy" everyone can figure it out later!! Plus you are how old and still inspiring so many people...you fill them up and make them happy!! You go girl...you make a difference!! So does your art!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your George Sand quote answers your question, no matter which direction it leads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good to me. Simple question, really tough answer. I feel like I try and make what moves me inside and hopefully moves someone else. Sometimes I am lucky and sell a bit, but the joy is the most important, otherwise why would I spend so much time at it. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hey, Pam!! Long time, no hear...how are you? Where are you?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit me and for leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every comment and will answer any questions via email. Otherwise I will respond to your comments with comments of my own on your blog. I love the blogging community!!